Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Doing alright

Here's a great little prayer from the Bible:
Proverbs 30:8-9

New King James Version (NKJV)
8 Remove falsehood and lies far from me;
Give me neither poverty nor riches—
Feed me with the food allotted to me;
9 Lest I be full and deny You,
And say, “Who is the LORD?”
Or lest I be poor and steal,
And profane the name of my God.

I try to live that.  Some issues, Ron has asked me to keep quiet, so I will.  I'm not much on obedience but I'll respect his wishes.  God always provides. 

Today was interesting.  I had two broken pairs of glasses.  Not fun. 

One pair had a break right in the nose, separating it into two halves.  The second had a corroded arm, and it was catching in my hair and pulling it - it was also about to fall off. 

Yes, I wear things until they wear out.  I could see, but not for long. 

I raided my small emergency fund and put one pair in a case, for transport (wore the others - I should mention I have to wear my glasses at all times).  Ron made a trip to a Starbucks. 

We rode there, had coffee together, and he went home alone.  I, having had a lovely date with my husband, went to the Dollar Store.  I needed some things. 

I got them, and found some awesome photo stickers featuring a black cat.  The cat looks exactly like my Bubba.  It is so cool.  For $1, I'll take them.  The stickers included some pumpkin/jack'o'lantern stickers I'll hand out to the kids. 

I got some driver candy; I wanted gum, I have it.  Sour gum.  Gumballs.  Regular bubble gum.  At a dollar a bag, I can't beat that. 

I made a trip and checked on our other vending machine, which needs stocking.  I called Ron and told him. 

Then I went to the eyeglass repairman.  He had a look a the patients, as I blinked at everything, trying to push up the glasses that weren't on my nose.  He gave me a sympathetic smile and quoted me something I could live with.  I paid him and sat down. 

I talked to my aunt (I could just make out her speed dial on the cell phone).   We chatted. 

Since he had two repairs, he took a little while, but he did a great job.  Both pairs look brand new.  It is very important, since I am so dependent on my glasses, to have a good backup pair.  I couldn't afford a new pair for weeks if something happened. 

I do plan to start saving for new "eyes".  At any rate, the "new" glasses looked great.  I have a warranty, too.  I was pretty broke but I gave him some candy.  He was happy! 

I had really good bus transfers to get to my next stop.  I went to the craft store and looked around; didn't buy anything - or want to.  Ron and I met, we came home. 

I took a nap, I was pretty wiped out.  Then I got up and did the online accounting report. 

Tomorrow I have to get up at 4. 

It was funny, though.  I was riding a bus today.  It is a very popular route, and in my opinion they could double the runs.  Everytime I get on the bus is packed. 

It runs through a pretty decent part of town; the nice areas are off the bus line.  In fact, in Houston "they" say "If it's near a bus line, it's a bad neighborhood".  I think that is stupid. 

I love my bus route.  Today, though, I was on a different one. 

I tend to ride in a few different categories of bus: the ghetto buses, in the really bad areas.  The moderate buses, that run through the bad areas, and nice ones, too.  I was riding on the latter bus today. 

As I looked around at the other passengers, I saw a guy with a tablet computer.  A guy who looked like a gang member texting.  At least one laptop bag.  Someone else watching a video on their cell phone.  Everyone had nice cell phones with slide out keyboards or touch screens.  Nearly everyone had headphones, indicating an MP3 player somewhere in the mix. 

As I watched them (quick glances, I don't stare), I thought, "In a lot of countries, these people would be the rich.  In America, we see them as poor because they don't have a car.  They don't have a car, but they have technology, every one of them. 

Myself included.  I have a nice little phone that gets email and does Facebook.  It doesn't like Blogger but that's OK.  It takes photos.  I have an MP3 player. 

We may have some struggles, but we are doing alright. 

No comments: