Sunday, October 2, 2011

How many Bibles are they handing out?

The Christian pastor Brother Yun once said "In China, we are attacked by the government.  In the West, Christians are attacked by other Christians."  In fact, on some level, if I'm not experiencing some level of "attack" in my life I start pondering my faith life and wondering if I am losing my effectiveness. 

Yesterday was interesting, I had 2 experiences.  Yesterday, on Facebook, someone put a link on my wall.  "I saw this and thought about your Bible handouts".  I couldn't investigate the link on my cell phone, but when I got home I checked it out. 

It was an extremely condescending post about people who hand out Bibles.  We are wasting out time and all our recipients are going to hell, because they are too stupid to figure out the Bible.  If I'm going to hand out a Bible, I have to hand out (the author's) "special" Bible.  The commentary will get the reader on the right path and all will live happily ever after. 

1.  It is insulting to judge how someone else is called to do evangelism.  Personally, I think a lot of people are focused on "The homeless" for instance.  All kinds of evangelism for "The homeless".  In fact, one lady got upset at me because I hadn't dedicated my "Bible ministry" to "The homeless". 

The homeless are well-covered.  What about the guy who has an apartment and works at Burger King?  I don't see anyone else giving him a Bible, and God has called me to do that, so I do.  I don't judge people who work with the homeless.  That's their field, I have mine. 

If I offer any advice on "ministry or outreach to the unreached" - it is simple advice to pray daily, read the Bible daily, and constantly seek God's will.  That's it.  I won't tell them anything else.  I'm praying for them, they are doing the work God has called them to do. 

So why are people CONSTANTLY telling me how to do the Bible handouts?  I didn't click on the link, but I am confident "one" of those "special commentary" Bibles cost more than an entire case of Bibles. 

2.  I think it is INCREDIBLY insulting to God, to say that someone can't understand the Bible without special commentary or "interpretation".  In fact, every cult I can think of either offers "special interpretation" of the Bible, or throws it in the toilet.  The Bible has a lot of power - Hebrews 4:!2 says it is living, and active, sharper than a sword. 

In my opinion, commentary waters down the purpose and meaning of the Bible, and more people spend time reading about the Bible, than the actual Bible itself.   Commentary is man's interpretation, of God's word.  Better to read the Word direct. 

If I get the Bible into the hands of the right person, God and the Bible will do the rest.  My work is finished, except for ongoing, daily, prayer support (which I do for all recipients, past and future).   I shudder to think of the people who are saying that God is too weak or impotent to reach a seeker, through His word.   

3.  How many Bibles are they handing out?  I don't do anything on a daily basis, God has other plans this year.  When He calls me to do a handout, you bet I'm on it.  I will stand out on that corner in the blazing heat index and wave at every car until my box is empty.  God desires obedience.  Sometimes He tells me "stay" and other times "go".  When I'm told to go, you'd better  believe I do! 

If anything, I wish He used me more often.  I remind myself, at those times, that God desires my obedience above all, and that quality is what matters.  It's better to hand out a few Bibles to quality, ready, recipients, than to wave the Free Bibles sign at a thousand hardened hearts. 

I personally think God has called everyone to do something.  However, I don't believe God calls anyone to judge other Christians. 

Which goes to another point; I see hypocrisy and bad choices in the "Christian" circles.  One lady put up a prayer request, seeking financial help for her daughter and LIVE IN BOYFRIEND.  I was shocked.  I was even more shocked how many people said they would pray. 

Did anyone stop to think that maybe God won't bless people who are GIVING HIM THE FINGER?  "God, I'm going to screw around with a man I'm not married to, in direct disobedience to many of Your commandments, but please help me financially."  God will NOT be mocked.  I felt that was completely inappropriate.  I didn't say anything.  It's not my place; God will do the convicting.

Just like I didn't reply to the post on my Facebook wall.   

What did she want me to say? 

No comments: