Friday, October 28, 2011

It did for me

It's been interesting, getting used to my "new" computer (reconditioned, Mom's former computer), operating system, and applications.  So far I have to say I have yet to figure out the video blogs, I may fire up the old one for that.  I made one on this the other day, but had problems with the upload (very slow long upload, it would have taken, literally, almost a day).

On other fronts, I am always praying for everyone - that includes you.  I have a list of prayer requests I pray for myself, and one I pray for Ron.  Happily, I am seeing some answers.

I remind myself, when things are harsh, that harsh times keep my eyes on God.  Let me tell you, nothing focuses my faith like a crisis.  I don't want crisis.  I want, a nice boring life.  I want to know what kind of day I'll have, three months in advance.

I believe God uses crisis, in my life, to get my eyes off "whatever" and get them back on Him.  When things are so bad or hopeless only He can help; I trust Him and He does.

I thought it was pretty funny today; my phone rang.  I didn't know the number so I rejected the call and sent it to voicemail.  A minute later, Ron's phone rang.  My psychiatrist had called, asking if they could reschedule.

Apparently, something has come up on my appointment day.  That's fine, I'll just go in Tuesday.  

He is a great doctor.  He takes patients, like me, without insurance.  I pay $50 a visit, a couple times a year.  That's it.  He understands the concept of a tight budget, and affordable medication.   Happily, my medication is very cheap, only $30 a month - generics.

I've never gotten the whole "It has to be a name brand" concept.  A molecule is a molecule.  I'm going to take the generic!  I've never had a problem with generics.

In fact, it was a name brand medication that almost killed me, two years ago.  It was a name brand antidepressant, no generics yet... and I took it for almost 3 years.  Monday I was fine, Tuesday I passed out and almost died due to allergy (you can look it up, August of '09).  My antipsychotic is another good example.  I could not afford it at $140 a month - name brand.

When it went generic, it dropped to $15 a month.  THAT, I can afford.   When I first got my medication, Doc gave me a months' worth of samples.  I was given a name brand lithium.

It worked.  So does the $3 a month generic lithium carbonate.  I like the pretty pink capsules, too.  Much prettier than that brown name brand!  Lithium carbonate is lithium carbonate.

And I've ONLY taken the Bupropion (aka Wellbutrin) as a generic.  Now, I admit I had a lot of problems with the yellow brand - I don't know who made it but I was pretty queasy.  Mylan makes a nice pink Bupropion and it works great.  The morning pills look so girly, a pink lithium, and an equally pink antidepressant!

The night time pills are a little more interesting, a burgundy antipsychotic, a red antioxidant (over the counter - my skin likes a vitamin A and E), pink lithium, and some white cal-mag-zincs.

You may know this, but I have written fan emails to all the manufacturers of my medication; they help me to have a fantastic quality of life.  I think the least I can do is say thank you.  I hope they put the letter up on the message board for the employees to read.

So, it's always fun to see Doc.  I heard recently the popular anti anxiety pill is available as a generic, and very cheap.  It's tempting to ask for it, but I don't want to play with things that carry a risk of addiction.  I have an 80% risk of addiction just with the FAS, I don't want to get stuck in a dark place.

Besides, I think my anxiety isn't that bad.  I used to have horrible panic attacks, but the lithium has done a great job.  It's not supposed to work that way, but it did for me.

I'll see my aunt, too.  We always try to meet up and have lunch.

No comments: