Sunday, October 9, 2011

It's not raining bleach!

Agh.  A fair amount of drama today; and a whole lot of gratitude. 

I got up at 5 AM to do my canning.  However, a piece had fallen off and I couldn't get it to work.  I was really upset, I adore my canner.  I was also frustrated, because I had 7 pint jars of stew, and 2 of beef stock with soup meat, and COULDN'T PROCESS! 

I turned it off, took the jars out, let them cool (everything was cooked before going into the jars), and stuck them in the fridge.  Only one DIDN'T seal. 

Ron and I had a plan to go to Walmart anyway, now I really needed to do so.  They sell pressure canners, at least mine does.  I also needed more canning jars and lids while they still have them in stock (they are seasonal). 

So, we loaded up.  It was, like, the Walmart shuttle bus.  EVERYONE on the van was going to Walmart.  2 electric wheelchairs, a walker, a cane, me, Ron and another "ambulatory".  I managed to grab the "good cart" with the seat on the back.  I popped Ron into the seat, and encountered 2 managers as a shopped.  I made a point of telling both of them, "Look, because you have this cart I'm buying all this".  They were impressed. 

So, I got my jars, lids, pressure canner, and girl stuff.  I got some soda.  Ron got a jar of the dark roux (apparently there are reigonal differences in gumbo styles - he prefers a dark roux, chicken and sausage.  The New Orleans style has a lighter roux, tons of seafood, and an assortment of meats. 

I can only find the dark roux at Walmart, in the "reigonal cooking" area, with the crab boil and stuff.  I asked Ron if he wanted to get chicken and sausage, he said no.  I'd rather get that from Foodtown.  They don't put chemicals in the meat. 

We are in an extreme drought condition.  Happily, it started pouring while we shopped, and has rained all day.  I am so thrilled.  My trees!  My greens!  I planted some amaranth this year in a pot, it went native and escaped to the lawn.  I need to pick it and eat it.  Why mow a perfectly edible, organic, green?  I'm organic.  I don't have dogs in the yard (it is fenced).  I'll eat it. 

I have really good soil. 

I thought it was sad and more than a little strange, everyone acted like it was raining bleach, instead of water.  It's water, people.  But they hunched up, pulling shirts over their heads.  Putting plastic bags on their heads.  SCREAMING at their kids to hurry up, and pull up your hood. 

I understand, some cultures, water is very bad for the hairstyle; making it frizzy.  I can understand that.  What I didn't "get", all the anglos running around like it was raining clorox.  It's water.  The stuff you drink.  The stuff you bathe in. 

[baffled shrug]  I don't get it; and I've wanted to talk about this for a bit, as you can tell.  We haven't had any rain to remind me! 

I just went out in the rain, now and then, looking for our ride and giving an inquisitive look at the shrieky types.  One woman told me I'd get sick because my hair was getting wet.  My hair gets wet every day, in the shower.  What is the difference?  Well, I'm not naked and I don't have any shampoo (I didn't say this). 

Best part of all, Ron bought most of the canner.  I've been wanting two, so I can do more at once.  I had planned to save up for this. 

We came home, and had a little conflict about position.  Ron stood on the porch, pretty much in front of the front door, listening to it rain.  I got annoyed. 

I realized I was peeved, because, when I walk in the house, I have to walk about 10 feet before I can put down my shopping bags.  Once I put everything away, I attacked the front room.  I now have a "Loading dock" right inside the front door, but out of Ron's footpath (I can't put anything on the floor where he might walk, or he'll trip and fall).   I watched a hoarding show while I cleaned. 

I took a nap, and when I woke up I got ready to pour the water out of my old canner.  I found the part!  Awesome!  My baby is fixed, AND I have an extra.  I am thrilled.  I have been doing a lot of canning, Ron loves it, and I always process by the book. 

In fact, for meat things, I actually add extra time. 

No comments: