Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Matthew 5:10

Tonight, I had a couple of people "yelling" at me. 

Why?  Because I said, without accepting Jesus' sacrifice, a person will go to hell when they die.  I also said I would pray for them.  They got upset, and one said "Oh, my friend doesn't need prayer, she's a really nice person." 

Honey, I don't care how nice you are, if you die without Jesus you are going to hell. 

I felt kind of bad; even a Facebook friend, I felt, ought to know that I am an evangelical Christian.  They ought to know I think being born-again is the only way to get to Heaven.  Since she didn't know that, I have to wonder if I "failed". 

Maybe she has so many friends she didn't notice my posts?   I hope so.  I would hate to think I wasn't a light in the darkness. 

It was pretty clear that I would probably have one less "friend" when I log on again; but that's OK.  I felt they had to hear the truth in a kindly manner.  I didn't scream about hellfire, it was mainly my usual "God has been so good to me, I want others to have Him and I'm praying for you daily". 

I don't see anything in the Bible about being a hater, but Romans 1:16 says "I AM NOT ASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL".  I'm not.  I will not be ashamed, waffle, or modify the truth.  Matthew 5:10 says that I am blessed when people "revile" and persecute me. 

Of course, Ron had a whole lot to say, criticizing.  It's like, what?  He doesn't even know the woman; and it is hard to value "spiritual judgements" he passes - long term readers know why.   He just said "I'm not hear to teach you".  Well, then, why are you criticizing. 

And before people say "Well, Heather, isn't that what you did?"  No, I don't believe it is. 

I just shared my faith, I want people to have what I do, and I stated my belief that people who die without accepting Jesus' salvation end up in hell.  I finished it off by saying I would pray, and then responded to a very hateful, profanity-laced post, by sharing the story of the atheist and the evangelist:

The atheist once invited the evangelist to his house.  "You believe" he said "That I will go to hell, when I die, if I don't accept Jesus?"  The evangelist agreed.  The atheist became angry "You have NEVER tried to share Him with me!  According to your beliefs I am going to hell, and you won't try to save me!" 

That's how I left it. 

I believe it is important to state the truth, even if it means my husband and some people online decide to shout at me.  If I get "unfriended".  If my marital life is a little difficult for the next couple days because Ron and I disagree on reaching the unreached. 

I told Ron, I perceive him as just holding on, until Jesus takes him home, on way or another.  He disagreed, stated he "Tries to share God with willing people, now and then, if they seem receptive, and God draws people to Him anyway." 

I tried to restate it.  "It's a lot like our taste in music.  You like old soul music.  I prefer something with a lot more intensity and drive.  It's the same with evangelism.  I have a lot more drive and intensity." 

He didn't like that analogy.  That's when he started nitpicking about a window I opened, etc. 

Which brings up a question.  Why ask a lot of vague questions about why a window was open, and other the other window, and why?  Why not just say "Please open the back window, it is stuffy in here."  When I said that I was accused of "attacking" him. 

[rolleyes]  Ron also mentioned he thinks I "like" being persecuted.  He didn't use the word "persecuted".  Why would I like it?  I don't like having people yell at me, curse at me, call me names, slam doors as they storm away from me, curse me under their breath, and gossip. 

Ugh.  Ron came back, and I told him "If you want a window shut say it".  Then he starts in with "normal people would know that".  I told him "Yeah, normal would have put you in a nursing home, too".  It went the way my usual requests for accomodation go; mr narcissistic can't fathom making an accomodation for me. 

I told him "If I carried on the way you did, when you asked me to read you something, we wouldn't be married for 2 days.  Yet, if I ask for a simple request, GUARANTEED, you will curse at me, judge me, criticize, and then get very condescending. 

I was thinking about marriage in general tonight, and one thing that came up: the thought that only God can give me the grace I need to deal.  I can't always love him in my own "strength".  However, I can work on my marriage with God's help. 

So, if Ron goes to bed tonight thinking I am  "Unloving" because I told him I need some personal time (I left him alone when he wanted it), that's OK.  He has to answer to God for HIS behavior, and I have to answer for mine. 

And, regarding Facebook, I would absolutely say what I did, again.  I am sure my other friends found the whole thing interesting. 

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Ok this post convinced me that
I am going to take a break from your blog for a while
It does not mean I love you any less

I wish you well and hopfully insight into other peoples world
You believe what you feel is true

Honestly

I feel as strongly as you
But would not say someyhing bad will happen to you if you don't
That holds people hostage in my mind
I would die for you right to practice your faith freely
Please know that
But that gives others the same respect and rights too
So for now I am breaking and will check back to see if you are cooking or knitting
Best wishes to you Ron and your darling Bubba

Heather Knits said...

Well, like I said, I have to share the truth as I see it. ((((hugs)))

How awful if there is a hell, and I didn't! I would expect to be hated for eternity! I know I would hate myself. There's actually a good song on the subject; a guy dies, goes to hell, and is shouting at his "Christian" friend who failed to share is faith.

sharon walker said...

Feel free to copy and paste the entire post that this entry was about from my wall to your blog for feedback from your regular readers.

I hope you're well!

Sharon

Heather Knits said...

Sharon, nothing YOU said had any impact on my post. "Your" friend was the one who engaged in the name calling, profanity, and LOTS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!! If you re-read my comments, you will see I never did any of that. I remained calm and didn't engage in personal attacks.

If anything, the fact that you allowed a rather vicious attack on me said a lot about YOU.

I know of only one "church" that spends a lot of time attacking the Bible and "helping people understand it properly". I will say it outright: I disagree with the JW mindset. I see it as a dangerous cult, with a "We're OK and they're not" mindset. Worst of all, it is unbiblical. I would never allow anything attacking the veracity of the Bible to be posted on my blog, ever. I am not interested, ever.

The Bible, however, can defend itself. I don't need to argue with you about the veracity of the Bible or Bible translations. The Bible speaks for itself, is the inspired Word of God, and is the only source people should consult for spiritual guidance.

By the way, I don't use the King James translation. God Bless you. I hope you do find the truth; my God is pretty awesome.