Friday, September 30, 2011

Canning world

I'm still pretty tired.  Run down from fighting the bladder infection?  Battling a mild depression?  Probably both. 

Ron's been very appreciative.  It's nice to hear.  It means a lot to hear "You were a huge help today, I couldn't run this business without you."   And "I'm so glad you're in my life"; especially when coupled with pretty positive energy, and minimal drinking. 

For instance, he just paid the flood insurance - when redistricted, we ended up in a "flood plain".  We are now required to carry flood insurance as a condition of our mortgage.  The house flooded ONCE, in a 500 year flood (2001), and that's when the sheriff went down our street in the airboat.  It wasn't the flood that got the house; it was the WAKE.  Agh. 

He paid the extra $14 for more coverage.  Pray God we never need it.  I'm trying to view it as charitable support for those in the flooded areas this year.  Ron and I just made a lovely $1,000 donation to relief efforts. 

We had yesterday off; and just went to Walmart.  I got more yogurt, some soda, and other things I forget.  I made my deposit, so all my charity stuff is covered.  The Bible says not to brag, I won't.  If I can throw a few bucks at a worthy cause, I will. 

I got canning supplies, some jars, and lids.  Ron doesn't want me canning in the summer, which makes sense.  It's hot work, in a house he's trying to keep cool.  He'd rather I "heat up the house for free" during chilly weather.  HOWEVER, the supercenter doesn't sell canning supplies in the winter; only the summer.  See the problem?  So, I had to get my jars, etc, now, while I could. 

I plan to can up some beef stew for myself (I am a carrot and potato kind of gal), and can up some gumbo (Ron loves chicken and sausage, with a dark roux, celery, and onion), and pinto beans (with spicy sausage) for Ron.  Ron bought 2 cases of jars, I bought one.  I also bought the lids.  A jar and screwband can be reused again and again, but a lid can only be used once. 

After I got them, I also got some screen protectors for my cell phone (gotta protect the baby), and a whole lot of diet cranberry juice.  Normally, I like cranberry juice.  However, a good 20 years' worth of bladder infections (I haven't had one in about 5.5 years), have programmed me to detest water and cranberry juice, because I ONLY drink them, and to excess, when I'm sick. 

Kind of like that vapo-rub.  If you only use it when you're sick, you start to imagine a sore throat when you smell the fragrance.  It has bad memories.  I think that's the case for me. 

I can tell I'm sick, my urine is burning and my beloved diet soda is actually making me queasy.  Unheard of.  So I drink lots and lots and lots of water today, hoping to dilute my urine, flush out infection, and make my body happy. 

It's funny how I really take my health for granted.  I'm working on taking good care of myself, lots of rest and plenty of fluids.  I'm also battling a depression; I can tell. 

Dad emailed me; they got my gift and he loved the coffee.  Good.  That's the idea.  Nice, gourmet, decaf expresso.  It sure smelled good in my bag as I went to the Post Office, and the Post Office did their usual wonderful job. 

Yesterday, while I had a little energy, I put all the canning jars, etc., up on the bookcase.  They are nicely organized.   If I bring something new into my home, I like to have a place for it.   Now, I have a little "canning world" on the bookcase, with pressure canner, water bath canner, jars, and accoutrements. 

I also filled up a couple of empty 2-liter bottles with water.  I read a very good article on disaster prep, and the author said the #1 priority should be stored water. 

I can certainly stick a couple of 2-liters full of water in a cabinet. 

No comments: