Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"Make a good day of it"

So, lying in bed, unable to sleep, I had begged God to take my lack of sleep and mental problems, and make a good day out it anyway.  He did.

I got Ron's wheelchair (turns out we didn't need it), loaded, put our bags in the trunk, and headed off to my house.  I got my spare glasses, and we were off.  I forgot my nightgown.

Mom got some cute photos of Mr Bubba cat.  He required some cat treats.

So, off we went, to Galveston... sort of.  First, Dad had broken HIS reading glasses.  We went by my favorite dollar store and got a new pair.  Mom also needed a few items.  We went to a craft store, and got her some lovely yarn.

Lunchtime!  They don't have a  Cracker Barrel in CA, so we went to our local.  We all had a delicious meal.  I think my parents found it cute to hear the waitress fuss over Ron's "neglect".

Off to Starbucks, and now Galveston.  The mid-afternoon traffic was pretty easy.  We got to the hotel and found ourselves on the second floor.  "Good" Ron said, "I hate people walking around on top of me!"

The wheelchair stayed in the trunk the whole time.  Next time we can leave it at home.

We checked in and decided to take a nap.  Dad changed and hung out by the pool.  I took a nice shower in the lovely bathroom.  They have the best shower head in the world.  It has so many settings.  Ahhh.  Ron took a nap.  I couldn't sleep.

We left Ron napping and went to the grocery store.  We bought some bread and went looking for seagulls.  I couldn't find any on the beach.  Later on, I finally did "move" part of a loaf, to a pretty apathetic bunch of gulls, as Dad and I got munched by some nasty bloodsuckers.

Poor Dad kept applying cream to his bites all day today.

We went to dinner, had a great time.  Ron had told me he'd eat "finger foods" and did just that.  We went back to the hotel and bed.

During dinner, Ron noticed I was a little manic.  When he poked me in the leg, I tried to slow down.  In retrospect, I would have had a small snack and taken my lithium earlier.  As soon as I got back to the room, I took my lithium.

Well, I read a little and then went to bed.  I slept great, but since I didn't have a nightgown I wore an old shirt and some shorts.  I kept getting "wedgies".  Other than that, a wonderful bed and a pretty good sleep.  My alarm went off at 6:30.   I left the room about 7.  Mom and Dad were gone, to Starbucks.

I walked to Starbucks, but discovered I'd gone to the wrong one.  I went to the right one.  I drank my beverage, ate, took my pills, and got my lessons on how to operate the computer.  I'm on it right now.  It is awesome.

By the time we finished, Ron was up.  We went to breakfast, and I showed Mom how to operate a Kindle.  She is considering the purchase.  I think I sold her.

We went back to the hotel and checked out.  They always take good care of us at the hotel.

We drove around for a while, and I finally found some hungry seagulls.  They had a good feast (lots of photos taken, too), as Ron and Dad waited in the car.  I dialed Ron on my cell phone and put the phone on the sand, scattering bread all around.  Ron got a real earful of bickering seagulls!

We drove around some more, looked at some of the sculptures (many oaks destroyed in the hurricane became interesting sculptures), took some more photos, and got ice cream.  More Starbucks, and time to go.

It was a little more traffic-y coming home, but not horrible.  I could tell Dad was concentrating.  We got to the house and Mom got more great photos of Bubba (they should be going in my slide show, shortly), and some of me, Ron, and Bubba.

Off they went (my aunt lives pretty far away), and see you later.  They are doing really well "for their ages".  I see a lot of very unhappy, infirm people on the paratransit and Mom and Dad are still lively and healthy.  It's good to see.  I don't "have" to worry about them.

I look forward to seeing them again.  I love Houston, but I do wish they were closer sometimes.  Then I think of how much Dad would hate an average Houston summer, and I say "Maybe not!"

Happily, I think we all had a good time.  I consumed a ton of caffeine today, I hope I sleep OK tonight.  I'm glad I have the kind of life where we could take a couple days off to relax.

No comments: