Sunday, October 2, 2011

God and my own good judgement

I can see why the atheists get so angry at Christians.  I found this in my comment in-box. 

Heather, I have read your blog for sometime, and you have a great talent as a writer. I was wondering if you could write more about your experiences with the Lord? As a fellow Christian, I would also ask, "don't you think the picture of you on the hood of the car is contrary to what the Proverbs woman would be advocating? I really believe you can do better than that. What is the exact purpose of it?

So, in my reply, I explained the concept of "humor".  Me posing on a car like a supermodel = funny because I'm not.  It's also funny because it is a sedan, and not a sports car.  That's why I'm laughing.  I don't see myself as a huge sexpot. 

I was actually surprised, because I could have found plenty more "objectionable" photos.  The one of Ron in a dress.  The bathing suit photos.  The one of me in a sports bra top (and shorts)  lifting weights.  No, it was the car photo, taken by a woman (my aunt) so modest she doesn't even wear sleeveless tops.  Yes, I am the Whore of Babylon, and so is my aunt for taking the photo.

I have to assume it's a woman.  What does she want?  Am I supposed to take the photo down?  If I did, I'm sure other "suggestions" would follow. 

Did I say "I am a perfect Proverbs 31 woman?"  No.  I didn't.  I said, I like feeling like a good provider for my family.  Besides, the Proverbs woman is "clothed in scarlet" and I live in gangland.  This is Crips territory (blue), not Blood (red). 

Now, lets look at the "more about my experiences with God" comment.  Am I unclear on that?  Can you read a single post without "God" "Bible" "God Time" or "Pray" in it?  Doubtful. 

I think, in this case, it's a sign of "Anointed Teacher Syndrome".  I'm sure you've seen this in your own life.  A Christian is on a message board, blogging, or Facebook.  They think they are an "anointed teacher" and persist in posting tedious sermons about the proper faith life, Bible interpretation, etc.  The only thing worse than that are the cut-and-paste sermons they stole off some other site.  They always tedious, boring, and unorginal.  I skip right over them.  Everything I get about God comes directly from the Bible, not someone's interpretation of same. 

Maybe "Honey" expects me to do that.  I'd rather die. 

The way I see it, I live my life as a witness.  I believe every reader can see my love for God and my faith in Him; it shines out in every word I type.  I don't need to post sermons or "experiences with The Lord". 

I don't really understand the request anyway.  I guess she forgot the "brain damage" part.  What experiences?  When I wake up, God is with me.  He's with me every minute of the day, as I thank Him for healthy kidneys when I urinate, the nice day, or the fact that Ron is appreciative for a change.  God is with me every second of the day.  When I sleep, He's with me.  He's never AWAY.  How do I "share more" about that?  He's a part of me and everything I am and do.  [scratching head]  

I REALLY liked the comment about how I can "do better than that". 

Where did I post a sign saying I wanted your advice on how to manage my life?  That's right!  I DIDN'T. 

I listen to God and my own good judgement.  If He wants me to change, He is always very clear on the matter. 

I would be curious to hear non-Christian opinions on the comment. 

5 comments:

Heather Knits said...

Forgot to add: I really liked the cowardly nature of the critical, anonymous comment.

If you have some "correction" for me, at least have the balls to give me your first name.

Anonymous said...

I personally think that judgments are best left to God. That's even in the Bible ; "Judge not, lest ye be judged." Jesus reminds us countless times in the Gospels to look to our own behavior first before critiquing others.
I, too, think that if you're going to make a comment like that, be willing to stand behind it! At least with an online name and contact information.
Personally, I think one of the best things about being a Christian is we aren't expected to be perfect. We ARE expected to be better and to try to be like Christ, but as the priest in the movie "Rudy" said, he'd learned one thing: "There is a God, and I'm not Him!"
I think you're a fine example of a Christian woman and I personally don't see any of your photos as objectionable, especially in light of many of the things one sees on Facebook nowadays!
If this person can honestly say that she lives 100% sinless, let her cast the first stone, as Jesus said. :)

Anonymous said...

I will say I feel just the other way , while I am happy for Christians and the faith you all have Heather,i feel pity and distain as well as disgust from Christians as a nontheist
I do not feel " loved " or cared about just prayed for
Heather I think it is wonderful you have God in you life
But see Christianity as very intolerant to my being an atheist.

You can speak freely about how you believe. I do but then there is that "look"
I truly belive in the "now" never feel like being bad or doing wrong and do not need the promise of heaven or threat of hell to take care of my fellow men/wome/animals the earth.
I believe also if there is a kind loving God he/she wired me this way

Anonymous said...

Ps the pic of you posing is adorable talk about a narrow minded comment!

awakened0229 said...

For what it's worth, I don't find your pictures offensive at all Heather. I enjoy them :) I also agree that whomever posted this should have not hidden behind anonymity.