Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm just the lady on the corner.

"Not all of us can hand out Bibles like Heather".  I read that tonight and found it rather distressing. 

Why?  Well, I'm no better than anyone else.  I don't care about public opinion, and I care only to please God.  That's why He uses me for the Bible handouts.  I'm already "crazy", so any possible name calling (and that has never happened on a handout) would just make me laugh.  So what?   

Yesterday, covered in hives and battling a vicious headache and the heat index, He used me.  Why?  Because I was willing. 

I think that's the only thing I have, that someone else might lack.  If I had to guess, I would say your average "Normal" is very concerned with day to day living, and what other people might think. 

My life has taught me to focus on what matters; the afterlife.  If I didn't have my hope of eternity I'd have suicided years ago.  [shrug]  That's my reality. 

I was listening to music tonight, thinking, if I died before I got raptured, which song would I want played at my funeral?  I absently wondered how many people might show, and who might have gotten a Bible.  It doesn't really matter.  I did decide that if I make a request, it will be something bland and pleasant - most people would hate my favorite songs. 

Don't scare the normals, that's my motto. 

So, a guy Ron called a friend is trying to screw him out of the money he "borrowed".  Fine.  If we don't get the money back on Earth, we'll get justice in Heaven. 

Besides, you really don't want to make Ron your enemy.  Ron is pretty smoked.  I think the guy made the same assumption some make with me; just because we're nice, doesn't mean we're weak.  [snort]  Ask Thug Boy about that one!  (I gave him a righteous beating when he tried to mug me at the bus stop). 

However, I'm not making this about injustice and how some people... blah blah blah.  Ron was very angry that the guy implied "Well, you're an alcoholic, what do you know". 

I hope perhaps it might get him to consider his drinking, but that's Ron's problem, not mine and certainly no one else's. 

So, getting back to the original statement; Not everyone "can" hand out Bibles like I do. 

From a logistical standpoint, it's not that hard.  I get the Bibles, bring them home.  I use the internet to get tracts, which arrive in my mailbox.  I take the tract out of my mailbox and put it into the Bible.  I take my master sheets to the copy shop, get more "Where to look in the New Testament" tracts printed, and take them home and stuff them in the Bibles, too.  The Bibles go into a shoulder bag or crate.  I take them and the sign to the bus stop, ride the bus, get off.  I unroll the sign and stand there, waving, until all the Bibles are gone. 

It's not HARD.  It's unusual. 

I do snort at the thought of a Heather on every corner, handing out Bibles every day of the year.  That would be pretty awesome. 

However, I think "we" would reach saturation point pretty quickly, and not everyone is ready for a Bible at the same time.   The guy who avoids me this handout, may be ready during the next one, or the time after that.  Occasionally, I'm stopped by a car.  The driver doesn't want a Bible, but the passenger demands one!  Those are fun. 

So, I do have a usable purpose for God.  I am glad I do.  First handout post. 

Some highlights: I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism. I thought, that would be great after I find a good church, we could all go out and hand out Bibles on street corners. It would be wonderful when I met some other, evangelism minded people. I would hate to die or get raptured without doing this, but I couldn't do it on my own.


It might not be safe. Jesus sent out the disciples in groups of two. I'm a woman, and it's the Last Days. I've already been mugged and shot with a BB gun (yes, I will brag on the attacks I've had as I do God's will - Paul did!); what else might happen? Maybe later, maybe never. I'll look like a homeless addict begging for money!

Yesterday I was reading a book on evangelism and God began to impress the absolute NEED to go out into the street this morning with a case of Bibles and begin handing them out. I trotted out all the excuses. I told God, make it MORE obvious.

He  made it abundantly clear. Do this! OK, Lord. You want me to do this, I'll do it. I find it a little sad that he uses me. I see myself as less than a "normal" person. He has to use ME? I see myself as an imperfect tool. Kind of like a fork with one tine.

What do I see in that post?  A lot of "normal people" concerns, and the usual expectation for God to make it loud (His will).  I also see a willingness, and I think that's the only thing that seperates me from a Sunday Christian. 
 
God has called all of us to share the Gospel, and I think today's church structure has muted that call to "Throw a few dollars in the plate on Mission Sunday".  Did you have that in your Church?  We did.  ONE Sunday a year, missionaries from all over the world came to our church and spoke briefly about their service "over there".  They had pretty slideshows and stories, and everyone threw some money in the plate when it came by.  Then "missions" went away for the rest of the year.
 
I don't see that in the Bible!  What I see is Jesus reaching out to everyone, and doing it ever day He served on this Earth.  I believe we are led to do the same. 
 
Does that mean I think I need to do a Bible handout every day of the year?  No.  He tells me, quality matters.  If I only hand out one Bible in my lifetime, and it gets into the right hands, that may be all He needed. 
 
In my case, a little more quantity. 
 
However, here are some things everyone can and I believe, should, do, daily.  Oooh  good grammar!  [snort]
 
1.  Read your Bible every day.  You can use a reading plan, a lot of good ones available.  Here is an email plan  Here are some plans that don't require any personal information  If you have a Bible, it may already have a reading plan in the back.  Take a look. 
 
2.  Pray daily.  Not the usual "God bless me and everyone I love amen" prayer.  Pray for everyone, everywhere.  Pray for the unreached, the new believers, the persecuted, etc.  If anyone is interested I will put up some of my stuff.  Ask God to show you His will.  Tell God you are willing to let Him use you, however He chooses.  Amazing things will happen!  You may suddenly discover a "call"! 
 
3.  Work on loving your enemies, praying for those who hurt you (Luke 6:28).  Ask God to put His love in your heart, for them.  In my case, I actually feel very sorry for 99% of the people who hurt us.  Do your best not to break any commandments, but if you do apologize and work on whatever led you to it.  I believe a lot of "sin" is opportunity.  I do not allow myself to be alone with a member of the opposite sex, for instance.  Too many complicatons could ensue. 
 
That's it.  That's all I've "done".  Of course I got "saved" - asked Jesus to be the Lord of my life.  He's done a great job, and done a lot more with me than anyone would have dreamed. 
 
HE gets the credit.  He's the force behind the handouts.  I'm just the lady on the corner. 

No comments: