Wednesday, May 25, 2011

High pressure, a Bible Donkey, and some whining.

I never expect an "easy" time when I'm doing a handout.  I expect trouble.  I know the thought of a hungry soul reading a Bible makes Bad Things very, very, angry. 

I don't know why I expected today to be different.  Yesterday I contacted someone "on the ground" in Joplin.  She lives nearby.  I offered to send her some stuff (a couple hundred scripture booklets, and a case of New Testaments).  She accepted, and sent me her address. 

Today we got up and went to Foodtown.  I needed some soda for work, and a few groceries.  I found my coveted $1 a pound ground beef special, and bought 7 pounds to cook on the grill.  We came home. 

Ron decided he didn't want to work today [shrug].  He can do that.  He told me I could have today off, and gave me a small advance on my pay (I needed it for postage). 

I got "strapped" - not the gang vernacular for carrying a gun, but strapped that case of Bibles onto my handcart.  I put the priority mail flat rate box, full of booklets, on top of that.  I found out, after mailing, they weighted about 35 pounds.  Stick in a big jar of candy for the Postal Clerk and I'm off. 

I had to get the cart on and off 3 different buses.  It dawned on me, halfway there, I could have simply called a cab.  It would have cost about $15.  But where I have no qualms spending money on others... I didn't think of myself. 

I'm calling a cab next time.  Ugh.  It was HOT.  Sunny.  Happily it was also windy.  We are on the edge of all the severe weather, but still protected by a stubborn area of high pressure.  We could really use an inch or two of rain. 

Of course I had the LONGEST wait ever, between buses.  Expected that.  Expected to have hassles getting the cart on and off the bus.  Did not expect the alcoholic at the bus stop to keep bugging me about schedules.  I kept telling him I didn't know.  Finally dropped a BIG hint "I bet it's faster if you ride your bike", and he left.  I was right, turns out! 

Finally got off the last bus.  Now I get to "offroad" the handcart, with it's 40 pound load, 5 pack of Diet Dr Pepper, a bag full of tie downs, an extra ball cap, and a big plastic jar of "Now and Later" candies. 

You bet your ass, I'm calling a cab next time!  I'm amazed a wheel didn't fall off; that's all on God.  As I struggled, I reminded myself that I don't want the swollen, useless ego.  OH, look at me!  I'm so holy, perfect, and rightous!  I help the needy!  Look at me!  [gag]

If that means I'm a Bible Donkey, sweating and dragging a wobbly handcart, so be it.  I'm glad He can use me, to haul His Word.  I found the whole sequence very interesting.  The bookstore just happened to have an unopened case of Bibles, I just happened to buy it, just happened not to open it, and just happened to have a long term internet acquaintence offer to distribute for me. 

I venture to say, the idea of a Bible handout would scare most Christians.  I finally made it. 

I took my time, taping the boxes shut and enxuring I wouldn't have any drama in transit.  Hauled it up to the counter.  The candy was a big hit.  Postal regulations say I can give a gift, less than $10, and not a weapon or alcohol.  She was happy to get it. 

Postage was not cheap, good thing I got the advance.  It ate the whole advance and a little more, but averaged out to a little over a dollar a pound.  Not bad at all, and she should have it by this weekend. 

Bubba-cat is acting a lot more "himself", and running away when he sees the Laxatone in my hand.  [laugh]  He's a smart boy.  I feel awful, dosing him. 

Ron had bugged me to get him some takeout, so I picked up some fried chicken for him.  I got myself a Starbucks, but it was pretty loud.  A couple of "intellectuals" loudly debated politics, while two Asian men engaged in a high-speed exchange in their native language.  It was a little much. 

I also realized I was in a really irritable mood.  Lithium time!  I took it. 

I had good bus transfers to get home; and gave Ron his chicken.  My hives (I ate chicken nuggets this weekend) were acting up so I took a Benadryl and specifically told Ron I was taking a nap. 

Well, it was "After 12" - he'd had a bit to drink and woke me up begging the cat not to die.  I kept telling Ron he was fine and I was trying to sleep, he just stormed off.  Well, I'm awake NOW. 

I should have figured on a few more attacks. 

So, I lit the coals, and they're heating up for the first batch of cheddarburgers. 

No comments: