Thursday, May 5, 2011

My name is Heather.

To date, I haven't said anything here about the man arrested, in public, for reading a Bible to people stuck in line at the DMV.  However, I had been thinking about another issue. 

It is pretty unpopular, these days, to say anything negative about islam.  The media wants us to believe that islam is a religion of peace and harmonious living, with a few random crazies. 

Hey, even Christianity has random crazies, people who claim to be with Jesus but are anything but.  They do horrendous acts; I can think of a few cult members who allowed their children to die because "God will heal them without medical care", allowing physical or sexual abuse, and such.  If I look at any cross-section of humanity, I will find scum. 

However, I suggested people take a longer and objective look at islam; citing the horrendous human rights record in all muslim countries; their shameful and criminal treatment of women.  A case where a Christian man was sentenced to death, for objecting to his son being taught the koran.  Centuries of "Convert or die" - and it's still going on today; Indonesia in particular.  Christian women being raped, because they prayed to a different God and the man "could' do it. 

I believe that view made me unpopular, and that's OK.  I spoke the truth, and I don't apologize for it.   I called a spade a shovel.  It says in the Bible, friendship with the world is emnity with God, and vice versa.  James chapter 4, verse 4.  "Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

That's pretty clear.  So I'm OK with that.  I got to thinking, thought, that the man arrested for reading the Bible probably felt the same way. 

I have issues with him.  For one, I felt he was doing it to "be controversial" and not to share God.  In my opinion, seeking God and sharing Him in a loving manner should be job #1.   Not making a name for yourself and stirring the pot. 

As an evangelist, no matter where I live, I had better study the law of the land, or consult an expert.  I have been told, by experts, that I am legally entitled to stand on my median strip with the Free Bibles sign.  As long as I do not touch, or impede, the cars, I'm fine, according to the Police.  As long as I do not ask for or accept money, I can keep my sign. 

[shrug]  It seems reasonable to me. 

The big difference?  He inflicted the Bible upon unwilling listeners.  I believe a soul is a lot like a field; God will send me along at proper "planting time".  I sow the Bible, they read it, and eventually they reach salvation and "harvest".  I'm just the sower. 

My Dad calls me that, referring to Matthew Chapter 13.  That's fine if he wants to call me that.  I don't give myself titles.  Ugh.  That's another one.  I really get bugged when I see titles like "Most Holy and Devout Evangelist EVER, Mary Jane" UGH.  Jesus was HUMBLE. 

My name is Heather.  That's all.  No titles. 

Anyway, a field may not yet be ripe for harvest, but if you go in there with your "plow" you can really screw things up.  I just found the whole incident distateful and offensive. 

I think that's why God has called me to do what I do: I stand on a corner, holding a sign, a case of Bibles at my feet.  If you roll down a window I ask you "How many" with a big smile.  I hand over however many requested, smile again, and tell them I'll be praying.  What happens next?  That's between them and God, and really not my business. 

MY business is living a rightous life, being obedient to God's will (the other day He had me hand out JUST ONE New Testament), seeking his will, taking a good hard look at myself every day and working on weeding out the evil, taking my medication, being a good wife and employee, and PRAYING FOR EVERYONE. 

That's my job... not pontificating somewhere to an unwilling, resentful, audience, until they come to arrest me. 

1 comment:

Heidi said...

bring your pepper spray and be safe Heather have a great hand out this weekend!!!