Monday, May 23, 2011

Learn to play

I see myself as a patriotic citizen.  I have the Constitution and Bill of Rights on my electronic book.  I'm not just registered, I walk a couple miles each way, to vote, every election.  Offhand, I can trace some family ancestry back to the 1600's.  My Dad served during Vietnam, I lost one grandfather during WW2, and the other one served 4 years during the conflict, leaving his infant son (my Dad).  I was born a citizen. 

In Texas, "we" - the Anglo culture, have been around for approximately 200 years.  We think we own the the territory. 

We don't. 

Firstly, it belongs to God.  My husband often states that since God owns everything, the whole concept of nations is redundant.  He has a point. 

All of us, the proud, flag-waving "white" American Citizens... we forget.  It really is GOD's country. 

Secondly, "They" were here first.  The Latino culture has been in Southeast Texas for about 400 years, TWICE as long as ANY white man.  If you take a longer, harder, look, the Native cultures were around for far longer than that.  You can't argue the point.  We just managed to exterminate the Natives, not a real proud moment, in my opinion. 

All you can say is that "we" kicked "their" butts some 200 years ago, in a war.  "We" won the land.  All well and good.  I'm glad.  I love Houston, I love the climate and the culture.  I love living in America. 

But it's kind of reduntant to say "They are taking over".  Numerically, yes, "They" are.  I believe I am actually a minority now.  But people forget:

They had it first. 

Does that mean we should just deed everything over to Mexico?  No.  The country is horribly corrupt and inhospitable for the common man trying to make a living.  I thank God everyday my husband is disabled in America!  He'd be begging, in Mexico. 

However, you have 2 kids in the playpen, if not more (we have other, thriving, cultures as well, which I love).  We cannot expect to have a predominately white culure with English-only standards.  We are going to have to press one, for English, when we make a phone call.  We will see a lot of bilingual labels and signs.  We will see some wierd things on the menu. 

In botanical terms, a hybrid often has a lot more vigor than either of the parent species.  I think the same applies to Tex-Mex culture.  We each have a tremendous amount to offer the other. 

If we can learn to play. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The immigration issue is a tough one because most of the people who sneak across the border do not want to live here. They are using this country as a means to support their families back home (which if your family is not all that great can be a drain on that person who is supporting everyone else).

Is it really fair to the American people to have to support those from other countries with social services, etc? People need to stand up and demand what is right. We did it with King George. Of course than there is the whole other issue of our country interfering with the people and governments in other countries to keep those people enslaved (at the request of the elite in their populations).

It is the sinful nature of people is part of the reason there is so much suffering in the world. That is why you see the corruption in Mexico among even the police, that is why you see the corruption in third world countries where is a village is able to become self sustained with a well, etc. People from neighboring villages come and kill the people and take over that village.

I believe every single issue in the world stems from sin. Sin may seem glamorous and fun on TV and in the movies but it is quite the destructive beast.

Heather Knits said...

Oh, I agree. I had some illegals living next door.

In my opinion, if we could "fix" Mexico we wouldn't have a problem at all. Who would want to live like a criminal here, when Mexico was awesome?

As it is, it's corrupt, and lacks even potable running water (where I did my mission trip) and the basics of life. The corrupt leadership feed, like vampires, on the little guys and by extension, the American public.

The time to close the door on illegal immigration; to really shut and lock the door, with strict enforcement, was 50-60 years ago. The "border" has been a joke for decades, and treated as such.

I doubt "man" can fix the problem at all. I just think blank hatred of anything "notme" is foolish and unbiblical.