Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Purgative

I've had many interests over the years.  One of them, herbalism.  I always knew something was "wrong" (bipolar disorder), yet the professionals all said it was just normal, post-traumatic business.  My teenaged experience with SSRI's, in my teens was very disappointing.  We won't tell my parents, but I was still pretty badly suicidal at times, on the drugs. 

Anyway, I became interested in herbalism.  They have different names for various classses of herbs.  An expectorant helps you cough up junk.  A febrifuge helps you break a fever.  A tonic is an all around boost.  Those are the most sought-out herbs, like ginseng. 

A purgative, is a very strong laxative.  I feel like I had a whole kettle full of the most violent purgative imaginable.  I thought the "dieter's tea" incident was bad - I was passing blood, it was so harsh (taken at one-third "as-directed"). 

I've never understood the whole colon cleansing things.  I have met a lot of people who swear by them, who just love the idea of spending hours in the bathroom, flushing their lives away.  They seem to feel it is good for "detox" and weight loss. 

Ever heard of a steam room?  If I could have anything, and have it magically maintain and pay for itself, I'd have a steamroom.  If I had some money, no magic, I'd say a sauna.  Where would I put it?  [laughing]  Good question. 

I know it's important to care for myself.  One reason I bought some bottled veggie juice.  I figured I could use the nutrition.  I try to take some vitamins on a regular basis.  I am working on eliminating highly processed, high-carb foods, from my diet.  I certainly don't need them. 

So, as I battle my Clostridium infection, meditating on the fact that I chose to eat the item that infected me, wondering why I thought it was a good idea to buy a sausage and egg kolache at 1 PM, wracked with cramps and fatigue... I can't imagine paying to feel this way. 

If I wanted a good "cleanse", I know of plenty of herbs that would do the trick.  I never do those purges.  It reminds me of the middle ages, when they thought bloodletting was a good idea. 

UGH.

I'll just stay hydrated, thanks.   

5 comments:

heidi said...

lithium toxic?

sip lots of fluids

oh honey I know I hate the idea that folks thing a whild "shit"fit is good for you it makes no sense at all to me either

Anonymous said...

You don't know it was Clostridium. And the incubation time from something you bought at 1 pm isn't long enough, unless you meant you ate it yesterday. I would suspect your canned meat - did you check its temperature with a thermometer before you canned it? Just because your jars were properly sterilized doesn't mean the meat was free of bacteria. And if these bacteria are anaerobic they will multiply away in your canning jars squealing about their delicious meal very happily.

Heather Knits said...

I ate it Monday, got sick 24 hours later. That fits Clostridium. Also the fact I didn't have any nausea until today.

Or, Heidi's right, I could be toxic. The symptoms fit that, too.

I haven't had any homecanned meat in over a week. Yeah, I am very careful about proper temps and always add extra time to the processing time.

I had a good laugh over the squealing bacteria.

Heidi =my real name;) said...

1 I hate when folks do not even take the time to make up a name!

2 food poisoning takes hold between 2-48 hours after eating the offending food (google it!)

Heather Knits said...

My head is spinning from all the Heidis!

Feeling better today.