Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"I can hear it roaring in the basement"

I thought my gait was off, but when someone asked my how I hurt my foot, I realized it was a little more apparent than I thought: Properly medicated.  "Gait Difficulties"  Huh.  It was sure hard to walk.  I had to think about it and I kept thinking "I'm kind of stumbly, I have to put this in my blog".  I explained and they went Oooh. 

So, yesterday, went to work.  Did a pretty good productive time.  Ruminating a lot - I kept thinking about an issue of Ron's I found rather bothersome.  I couldn't stop thinking about it for a while, but finally Big L, as I call my Lithium, came along and whacked it. 

Came home, took a nap.  Woke up, did some computer time.  I could have sworn I did a blog, but apparently not.  Depression back, and eating me. 

I finally got the thought to take a walk.  I was hungry.  Well, I thought, there's a pizza place, with a carryout window, just a few miles from the house. 

I walked to the pizza place.  On the way, I stopped at a gas station and got a soda.  Got the pizza, brought it back. 

I have been wanting to make myself a felted cell phone case.  I'd make an oversized wool one, and wash it in hot water and make it shrink, "On purpose".  I found a nice neutral wool and started that. 

Shared the pizza with Ron, watched the finale for Stargate-Universe.  I definitely got the feel it was a last-minute job.  I got the feeling it had been the season ender, not the show ender; however they left a nice big door if they want to restart the program.  I kind of went, Huh. 

Then I went to bed.  I woke up around 6, slept in until 7.  Got up, did my God Time, talked to Ron.  We had today off.  I took my lithium (I am taking 2 tablets in the morning, and one at night). 

Today was not my best public transportation day.  I spent a lot of time waiting on buses.  Anyway, I headed out with my stuff.  I went to the not-my-favorite grocery store.  I want to like them, really, but I find out of code items, or rude employees, and I don't shop for ages. 

Anyway, I was going to my Favorite Christian bookstore,so I bought them some Honeybuns.  I got myself some Diet Dr Pepper.  I have an ongoing joke with one guy (at the bookstore) about bringing him a Dr Pepper, on my way out, as a joke, I bought him a can of the store brand.  I still had some change, so I bought myself a can of diet. 

OOOPS!  They had a problem; it dispensed two.  I am such a vending geek - and I MISSED MY BUS to do this, I called the company, gave them the asset number, and told them it was running a buy-one-get-one free special (it is pretty common for machines to do this, if it does please do what I did).  They thanked me. 

A manager had rung me up, so I mentioned, in passing, to him.  "I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT IT" he snarled.  Huh.  Good thing I'm a Christian. 

So, I walked out and saw my bus roar off.  Then I had to wait at the bus stop with the mother of toddler twins who kept acting up.  It was a long wait; made especially memorable when one little girl pulled off her undies and urinated right at the bus stop. 

I was pretty goofy by now; and I kept thinking I was so happy I didn't have to watch a toddler.  No way could I keep up with an active baby.  No surprise my mother lost custody; properly medicated she couldn't have cared for me!  However, at the time she was drinking and unmedicated. 

So, I got off the bus.  I had a hard time moving my feet properly; at the low end of toxic.  However, NOT depressed. 

Like I told Ron "I can hear it roaring in the basement". 

Went to the bookstore; the honeybuns were a huge hit.  Everyone at the store, loves honeybuns.  Good call!  I will have to do more; they won't melt in the summer heat.  They are about the cost of a single bottle of soda.  I can do that.  They had a laugh over the generic brand soda. 

They gave me a couple more Bibles, which I've already given away.  More on that later. 

They kept asking if I was "alright".  I had to explain "properly medicated - side effects are better than the alternative". 

I know I was "impaired".  I looked like it.  That's why, a few days after my diagnosis, I "confided" in the biggest gossip at work, that I had bipolar disorder, was taking medciation, and enduring some intense side effects.  They were very sympathetic, and 2 minutes after they walked off the whole plant knew.  Ha.  I planned it that way.  If I'd asked them to tell, they wouldn't. 

In fact, someone at work was asking questions about bipolar + psychotic features "For a friend with the illness, she is getting really paranoid".  I explained it was perfectly normal, just talk to doc, take the pill, and all better. 

Ron later mentioned the "friend' may have been the lady asking questions.  Oh, well.  I am always happy to educate.  I wanted information and had to fight to get it; now I am happy to give it freely. 

So, I wobbled off, thinking Lord, I can't do much today but that's OK, isn't it?  You just need me to lean on You.  Give me the grace to deal with everything, and I'm good.   I will stop with the expectations, if You're happy with me that's all that matters. 

Somehow I made it across the very busy street, down the road, and to the bus stop.  A little bit of a wait, almost time to meet Ron now. 

I called him, he confirmed he would be meeting me for lunch.  He had a trip to the liquor store, but cancelled because "I don't want to go".  Awesome.  I really feel like my prayers are bearing fruit.  "Deliverance from addictions". 

I had enough time to go to a craft store and the other Christian bookstore.  I checked the vending machine, it needs 5 cases.  I called Ron "Get your digital recorder" Why?  "Because I have my head in a vending machine and we need soda".  I read off the sodas. 

I went to the restaurant (a takeout/fastfood) and waited out front for him.  I always like to tease Ron and the driver a little "Oh, boy!  I'll take this one!" 

3 comments:

Cheri said...

Good thing you're a Christian? Really? So only Christians are "nice" people? Please explain.

Heather Knits said...

Well, Cheri... some Christians talk about "The flesh". Our basic, human, instincts and desires. To paraphrase the Star Wars movies, we all have our "Dark Side".

When the guy got all nasty with me, my "flesh" wanted to give him the finger, a four-letter word, and go buy more "special" sodas, just to screw up the bottom line.

However, the fact that we all account to God for our actions held me in check. It wasn't ME that was nice - it was God, in me, that enabled me to just walk away and shrug.

The fact that I missed my bus trying to help fix a problem? Again, the Dark Side of me was really annoyed, some kid almost peed on my foot, it was hot, I don't have much time off on my Day Out and I had to spend it next to a busy, hot, road, sitting on a hot concrete bench. When I could have been having fun - but I had to stop and help with the vending machine.

Then God reminds me "Whatever you do, do it as though serving God and not man, knowing you serve the Lord Jesus." (Colossians 3:23). It wasn't about me looking like a nice person and getting thanked. It wasn't about helping someone who was unkind; it was about making God happy by doing the right thing. I did that; I'm happy.

I venture to say I would be a pretty bitter, angry person if I weren't a Christian. I can't speak to anyone else's faith; I can only speak to my own. I know, knowing God, makes ME a better person and I'm glad of it. That's why I share it; I want people to have what I do.

Heather Knits said...

Cheri, my first reply got eaten when Blogger went down.

Human nature = "flesh" in Christian terms. My flesh is pretty ugly at times.

However, my faith in God keeps me focused on important things. So what if they guy blew me off, and I missed a bus? Will it matter in heaven? That's the big question I try to ask myself, these days.

Who am I to judge anyone? God's the only judge.

My faith in God makes me better than I would be, otherwise. When I think about people who don't have God in their lives, I just get really, really, sad. I wonder how they do it, and then I go pray for them.