Thursday, September 30, 2010

Beer for his horses

Today has got to be broken into two sections.  First, the song.  I have a decent amount of international readers, so I'll post a link with lyrics. 



OK.  Why is Ron listening to this? 

Someone tried to break into our stockroom last night.  Let me show you a photo of our stockroom door:

From November, 2009

You'll notice the padlock and hasp.  The door has a keylock, but we had problems.  Sure the door had a keylock but everyone had keys.  One guy even opened every door we had using his keyring.  Once we installed the hasps and padlocks, (we have 2 stockrooms), suddenly we had SO MUCH MORE INVENTORY.  A manager has a copy of the padlock key. 

Today I came in and noticed tool marks all over the door.  The hasp was bent and the "padlock holder" had been partially pulled out of the door.  I had to tighten a couple of screws, significantly.  The whole works looks warped - like someone tried to break in! 

I was furious, angrier than when I got mugged.  It's one thing to try to take something away from me, I don't APPEAR damaged.  But to ROB a blind man in a wheelchair!  A man WORKING for a living, just trying to support himself and his wife... oh, I boiled. 

I told Ron.  That prompted the frame of mind that led to his song choice.  He was upset. 

I was very angry, but I was able to hand it over to God pretty quickly and have a good day.  It was pretty funny, though. 

I called the office at work.  They said they couldn't transfer me to the Postal Inspectors, who have an office right in our building.  She kept asking what happened - I told her repeatedly. 

She gave me a number that rang in El Paso - I reported the attempted burglary again, and got to tell them that yes, we have a room on  Postal Property, and ONLY a Postal Worker could have done this.  I explained my husband is the blind vendor in the wheelchair.  Steve was very nice about it and said he would refer the case to our local Postal Inspector.  The ones in my very building. 

[rolleyes]  Yeah.  Later on, I got a call from the Inspector.  She knows us, and was pretty outraged.  She was especially interested to hear about the tool marks all over two doors. 

I wrote up a note and left it on our door: God is watching you.  Inventory owned by a blind man in a wheelchair.

I almost feel sorry for the burglar.  Even if they had gotten into the room, all we have are a limited selection of chips and some soda.  I stock all the candy and cookies directly into the machines, and cash is NEVER kept in the stockroom. 

They make at least $12 an hour, if a "Casual" employee.  The career employees make about $40,000 a year.  They get benefits.  They're going to throw it all away for what? 

Pathetic. 

No comments: