Thursday, September 2, 2010

"Chow Fun" is NOT on my diet

Feeling better today, just tired. I had to get up really early and go to work. I helped Ron, he is getting really good at being appreciative, and got the milk delivery. We had a last minute visit from the soda machine repairman. The sodas were cold, but the compressor was dying. It was starting to ice over. Happily, our pickup was so late, we had time to install the new one.

Had our pickup been on time we would have lost our ride. I think repair guy felt a little guilty, he was outside at the bus stop and waited for a bit, to make sure we didn't lose our ride. I think he would have stalled the driver and called us. Very, very, sweet.

When the driver pulled up I made a point of thanking her for being late. She was surprised, to say the least!

I handed out a lot of stuff today; even some Chinese. After work, we went to see John, Ron's former teacher. I think it's great. We had a good visit, and really enjoyed John and his cat.

We had a longish ride to get home, but we finally made it. I was really tired and had a TREMENDOUS craving for Chinese food. I asked Ron and we agreed to orde.

"Chow Fun" is NOT compatible with a low-carb diet, but boy was it good. Ron really enjoyed his Mongolian beef. Speaking of, I have a new gadget on my Blogger "dashboard" - "Stats". I can see the countries of blog readers. It is really fun for me to see that I have an international audience. Yes, I agree, it is a little creepy, though.

I had the fantastic idea to give some Driver Candy to the (Chinese food) deliveryman. I do this with pretty much anyone who walks up to the door; if they're knocking on the door or delivering something, they're getting candy and a scripture booklet. Or candy and a New Testament, or candy and a Bible... depending on how God leads me.

Today, I had the delightful revelation: the restaurant is run by "real" Chinese; AND I have Chinese Scripture booklets. I put a few Chinese booklets in with the regular driver candy and English-language booklet. The guy was thrilled to get the candy and a decent ($5) tip.

Ron and I do overtip, but I think it's important to compensate for the people who don't. Not to mention, if we have demonstrated God's love by giving "more" money, they are probably going to be a little more willing to read whatever's in the candy.

I very seldom encounter anyone who says "I don't want your candy." I do encounter a few, I had a driver today, but they keep me humble. If everyone is giving me the Rock Star Treatment, Oh! It's You! I'm so fortunate! [scoff] I don't think I'll be very humble, OR effective, for long. "NO! I don't want that!" Just makes me appreciate the people who do say yes, and will take the time to read the booklet or Bible.

People who occasionally act like I am contagious are good for my ego; keeping me humble. People KNOW that God wants them, and is drawing them to him (John 6:44). They may still be "cooking" as I like to view it.

I'm like the meat thermometer; you don't stick it into the meat until it's almost "ready". If you stick the thermometer into some barely-raw meat, it's going to register a low, improper temperature. If you stick it in right when it should be ready, you'll see results (proper temperature attained). I'm a little goofy, didn't sleep well, but hopefully that's a good analogy.

God sends me in when people are in a ready, open, accepting frame of mind. I ask Him to help with this, of course. I know that I, Heather, can't do anything. God's doing it, I'm just the servant.

It's fun to see happy people getting into their candy. God has really made this fun for me. Not all the time, of course, but He lets me see people's joy as they feel Him reaching out, through me.

Awesome. I pray I remain useful.

No comments: