Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ron thinks I'm evil

Ron thinks I'm evil but I don't care.  The people who live next door moved out after we got burgled several years ago.  They rent the house now.  It has been a sucession of bad tenants, and the last one looks to be the worst. 

They have a dog.  The fence between our yards is a very old, brittle wood.  It has been previously damaged by aforementioned former bad tenants.  Their little boys thought it was "fun" to rip boards off the fence and crawl through "The Hole", snooping around and looking into my windows.  I caught one of them in my backyard and asked what he thought he was doing.  It is fenced on all sides, with a latched gate. 

"Oh, I wanted to see if you wanted me to mow your yard."  I told him not now, not EVER.  He wanted $20 to do the front, only, and had no explanation for why I had caught him peering into my window.  I ran him off. 

So, it seems every tenant has done yet more damage to the fence.  The last tenant has girls, and a dog.  The dog is very active.  They apparently looked at the elderly fence and thought "That'll hold her".  No way.  The dog is constantly worming into our yard, knocking yet more boards off the fence, and defecating all over the place. 

It got out again.  I went out and fixed it.  Ron tried to talk to the owners.  They don't care.  He is very upset because she is a car chaser.  "We need to lock her up in our yard".  No, we don't. 

If he bothered to ASK me, I'd tell him "I don't want a dog.  I don't want the hassles and responsibilities.  If you want a dog, I'm moving out.  I have enough problems in my life already." 

Instead, he is constantly encouraging the dog everytime she gets out.  Petting, treats, etc.  Then he tries to lock her into OUR yard.  No, that is not happening. 

It's not our dog.  It's not our responsibility.  Ron has tried to talk to the owners on several occasions, and they can't be bothered to come get her.  They don't care. 

They don't care if she runs around in public and gets hit by a car.  They won't fix the fence or put her on a chain so she can't escape. 

So, if the dog gets into my yard, I'm unlocking the gate.  If the dog's in my yard, it's my legal responsibility.  I don't want that responsibility.  We haven't even had the cat vaccinated, now we add more vet bills?  I don't think so . 

When Ron's drunk he has all these wild ideas about how he can "fix" the backyard so the dog will be secure.  The honest truth?  The kind of serious repair required would cost us hundreds, if not a thousand dollars.  That's money we don't have.  For a cheap fence repair, $15 a linear foot.  That means the shared fence with next door is at least a thousand dollar repair.  That's not counting the back fence, which is fine but not for an active escaping dog. 

It's not our dog.  I feel sorry for the animal, but it's not my problem.

Edited to add: She is also ripping boards off the fence between her yard and a very busy street.  I do not give her a long life expectancy.  It is very sad how the girls refer to the dog as "mine" yet their Dad can't be bothered to hammer a couple of boards up on the fence. 

No comments: