Friday, September 10, 2010

Anonymous, I would LOVE to do more videos! I'll figure them out and get started tonight. As you've noticed, I am a very social creature and love to share. For one, I have been meaning to share "The Seagull Story" on video. I also thought it would be fun to share how Ron and I met, with a video of both of us. Ron has a new woodworking project... and I could always do something with the knitting.

Yesterday was so crazy I was glad Ron and I forgot the first trip. We had MEANT to go to the Warehouse store (we can get a 48-count case of full sized candy bars for a low price). Two people with brain-damage - we completely forgot about scheduling it. Fortunately, for us, we have a pretty good "Sheltered Workshop" (A workplace that provides a supportive environment where physically or mentally challenged persons can acquire job skills and vocational experience.) where people are understanding of our limits. The workshops tend to have a "special" understanding of the employee's limitations.

Limited, we are. It is very easy for me to get down on myself and compare myself to "normal" people. I am different, that's all. I have a very strong creative impulse and I love to learn. I've baked my own bread from scratch. I'm so knowledgeable about Ron's medical history doctors assume I'm some kind of professional; not only can I knit and crochet, lace and regular work, but I've blended, spun, and knitted my own yarn - all from a big wad of mixed fibers. I'm a sweet-looking, cat-loving lady who loves Gospel Rap and Gospel Metal. I've made my own soap, from various oils, lye, and water. Lovely soap, too. I love exercise. I am not afraid of getting sweaty at work and feel a great affection for "my" vending machines. That's me. God made me unique.

No, I can't drive, have a horrible time understanding spoken directions, need the closed-captioning when I watch TV, and I'm "Cray-zee!" So what?

God made me this way for a reason, and I intend to appreciate His work. Also, figure out what He wants me to do, so I can go do it.

Anyway, first trip of the day was work. We got to work, got the delivery, and put it away. I did sodas, I couldn't do much with the snack machines because they needed Cheetos, Plain Lays, crackers, and candy bars. I do have some trail mixy items in there for the healthier-minded, along with two selections of pork rinds, and peanuts, for those interested in low-carb. I have eaten many a bag of my peanuts at work. Good stuff.

I love it when the customers "catch" Ron drinking his own coffee (I am not a fan of coffee), or find me with a can of Diet RC in one hand, and a bag of salted peanuts in the other (1.5 ounce bag by Kar nuts - Kar nuts are excellent). Oh no! I exclaim We're eating our OWN merchandise! Everyone laughs.

After work it was off to the doctor. We had a transportation screw up and got there late. Then, the usual waiting forever. Happily, it didn't seem that anyone in the waiting room was contagious. Ron and I took an extra Olive Leaf capsule to make sure (500 mg - great stuff for preventing and eliminating illness).

Finally got in. I had brought Ron's photos, pretty much like you see in the slideshow. "Ron has a productive and happy life in spite of his problems." I also brought a note for the doc, and a concise medical history. She looked it all over and filled out the paperwork.

She was not our regular doctor. More on that later. We finally left and rode off to KFC (fried chicken). Ron happily devoured a 2 piece "dark" meal (thigh and drumstick), extra crispy, with double green beans. He ate everything except the wrapper. We also got our next driver a value fried chicken sandwich.

Ron, as a favor to me, was "leaving" me. I wanted to hit the yarn store and Favorite Dollar. They were within walking distance. The day before, I asked Ron if he'd mind, and when he finished laughing he happily made the trip. Ron can enjoy his fried chicken again. He loves to go.

So, the van pulled up and I got Ron onboard. He went home. I went off to Favorite Dollar.

They are getting pretty well set for Halloween. Happily, they had loads and loads of individually wrapped, mixed candy. Excellent. I selected a few bags for driver candy, and got a good selection of plastic bags. They have unbeatable prices on plastic bags of all types.

I barely had enough room to stuff everything into my backpack. I went to the yarn store. I love my big denim tote bag. It has hauled astounding quantities of Driver Candy, Bibles, and bottled soda. Faithfully. I have never had a problem. I decided to get another tote in the matching canvas.

The lace-weight yarn by Patons had been calling me. Why? Well, I am a little manic. When I am just a little manic I get VERY creative. I want to embark on fun new projects. I am inspired as I attack old ones. In fact, it's pretty awful to be just a little manic, because the last thing I want to do is make it go away. Especially after a month of icky, soul-sucking-depression.

However, properly medicated. People talk to me, more than Ron, at work now. When I tell new acquaintences I have mental illness, they refuse to believe it. Ron is not afraid of me anymore, and does not want to check himself into a nursing home.

I have to be careful right now, but I can't recall the last time I went to the craft store and actually walked out with something FOR ME. I had seen the laceweight Patons. It's about $6 a ball, for 3 ounces. Almost 500 yards I think. It is mostly acrylic, with 10% each mohair and wool, which adds a lovely fluffiness and softness. It's even machine washable. Really nice and pretty.

If I am thinking about something for over a week and not over the top manic (like when I do 8 posts a day), I'm inclined to get it. Especially if I can think of a current project and plan to start it immediately.

The blue mix was really pretty, and perfect for my aunt. I've made her an afghan, two actually. Mom asked me to make her an afghan and I have just had a horrible case of knitters-block over the yarn she selected. I plan to start on it - but I'm stuck. I thought, Hmmm. I can just imagine the phone call: My aunt calls and tells Mom all about the lovely item I made her. Mom hangs up and says "What about me?"

I would love it if someone would make me something, but I think the crafters I know are somewhat intimidated. They see me as "better" and more talented, so they think I wouldn't be interested. Just a thought.

So, I put the blue back. I plan to do it, yes, but after I made something for Mom. They had a fiery orange mix. Not mom. Shades of brown and gold. Not bad if you are interested in brown and gold. But my bedroom walls are gold, I don't need anymore. The black and white mix was lovely....but not Mom. I picked up 2 balls of the cream, for myself. I can think of 4 different things I can make. Currently in the works, a feather and fan shawl - double stranded with some laceweight merino, on size 8 needles. See, the mania can be REALLY awesome for design concepts... at first.

Eeek. I don't want the demons in my head. Nope. Back to yarn: I finally spotted some lovely shell pink peeking out behind some uninspired brown yarn. I had a closer look at the "Woodrose". On first glance, it is dark brown fading to lighter brown, but as I looked closely I saw it changes to a rose pink, and then a soft baby pink. Now that's a Mom color. I got 2.

I plan to make a rectangular shawl/wrap. She's repeatedly said she would love some kind of cozy wrap for reading in bed. She is very petite, 62 inches, and a very petite build. It will be easy to wrap her up! [grin] As I look back, I realize she was one of the first people to not only love me, but to have faith that I could thrive. Most of the professionals I encountered were pretty pessimistic. Dad was pretty overwhelmed, my birth mother consumed with guilt, alcohol, and her own bipolar demons.

One thing you can say about Mom, she's very stable. I started it. I hope she likes it, but even if she isn't wild about the colors she'll know I made it for her.

Now I'm wondering, if she would have liked the blue! Now, that's funny!

Ron called. Chuck would be happy to take us to Home Depot. Where would I like to meet? I gave him a location, paid up, and left. We met and went to the store.

At first, Ron was a little irritable. I finally asked him, gently "What am I doing for you? Am I helping you?" He agreed. "Could you please speak to me as a helper?" He stopped complaining and criticizing. Thank you God! Now, what I would have wanted to do is to stop the cart and say "Look Buddy, get it yourself!"

We got the fence post, and the fence post holder. We got the slats, and the 2x4. It was really exciting as I maneuvered the 16 foot (about 3 meters) long board over to the cutting area. It was a 2x4, pretty standard American size (2x4 inches, by 3 meters long). I had written out all the cut pieces we needed, and wood guy got right to work. He cut everything properly and loaded it into the cart. I got some wood seal; a mistake I made with the last gate, I did not waterproof it BEFORE assembly. Between the humid climate, and the "varmits" from next door climbing the gate like a ladder, it didn't last as long as it could.

We finally got home and I put everything up in the garage. I even spread some plastic on the floor so I can start staining tomorrow.

Today, I'm having fun. I am going to do fun things. Tomorrow, it's the warehouse, work, and wood staining. Sunday Ron can start assembly.

I propped up the remains of the gate, against a trash can, to prevent access to the yard. Even medicated I'm still territorial.

No comments: