Wednesday, September 22, 2010

That was a lot nicer than I expected


Ron had offered to help me get my New Testaments, but I couldn't do it yesterday. I told him I'd like to get them today if he didn't mind. I also said I'd like a trip to Burger King.


So, I got up this morning, we went to Starbucks, and I pushed him over to the Christian bookstore in the wheelchair. He played my music on his talking book machine with a minimum of commentary.


We got over to the store and I bought my New Testaments. I had a discount card which I used. I even got some Spanish Scripture Candy. We had a good pickup and went home.


I told Ron, I'd love to spend the day with you (he has made a concerted effort to be positive and upbeat), but you'll have to change that last trip to a wheelchair. He did that.


We took the wheelchair to Burger King. It was so nice to just LEAVE when we were done, without waiting for a ride! While eating Ron told me he would like to participate in my next handout. He wanted a sign. His only question, "I don't have to listen to your music, do I?" I assured him I don't even listen when I'm "working".


We went and had a look at Favorite Dollar, buying a few pounds of their candy mix. We looked in a craft store and didn't buy anything, then went to the Christian bookstore and got some posterboard and a giant tip sharpie permanent marker. No one really felt comfortable lettering the sign, so I asked God to help and did it myself.


Ron did not want a large sign, but something he could hold comfortably in one hand while sitting in the wheelchair. I think we did a good job.


Afterwards, we headed off to the bus stop. The bus broke down, we waited over an hour in the heat. Ron was amazingly positive and an enjoyable companion.

I realized today last years' jeans are a little tight. I have put on about 10 pounds from last year. Agh. I have a rule - if the jeans don't fit, size up. I am not going to go around bursting my seams. We went to Academy sports and I found 2 nice pair of jeans, a nice dark wash, and comfortable. I bought them.

Ron and I agreed we were a little tired of public transit by this time, so we called a subsidized cab. We pay anything over $8. It was worth it to get home.

Now we're home, and relaxing. Today was much nicer than I had hoped. :) That's a good thing.

It will also be fun to get Ron involved in a Big Bible Handout. I could use the company.

No comments: