Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Today it's written

I slept in until about 8:30, then got to work on weatherproofing Ron's gate. OH. Once Ron and I figured out how to open the canister, the fumes... intense.

I did the BRIGHT thing (end sarcasm) and decided to do this all in my closed up garage - varnishing the wooden gate at every possible angle; then varnishing the 4x4 support post. Oh, those fumes were INTENSE.

I took some fresh air breaks but still ended up with a nasty headache. Oh, and I woke up in agony because I had started my cycle. AGH. Not the best "Day Off" in the world!

HOWEVER, I was NOT going to let that get me. I had always regretted that I had never "properly" wood-treated Ron's first gate, and suspected it would have lasted longer if I'd given it a good weatherproofing. I had to do this gate.

Next time, I will take my husband's advice, drag the thing out into the yard, and do it there. I would have had to watch it until it dried, because it's a very nice looking gate.

I went into the house and took a shower. Then I did my God Time and had some breakfast. After that, I prayed and bagged up the "right" amount of driver candy (I pray about it and generally get a number). For instance, today I picked up 6 New Testaments when I reached into my box. Then I pulled 6 quart sized ziplocks out of that box... pretty obvious.

I loaded up everything and ran off to catch the bus. All the bus drivers today were happy to get their candy. One driver, I had a strong "NO" so I did not give her candy.

I took my handcart and got some Diet Dr Pepper bottles. Yum. I thought they might help with the headache. Then I rolled off to the yarn store. I yearned and lusted over the black/gray/white mixture of lace yarn. I put it into the basket I had on top of my handcart. I got the blue and put that in - my aunt loves blue, and would like a triangle shawl. I found a good guide on how to to that. I plan to start at the top, work my way down. I got a circular needle I didn't need, as it turns out. It was only a few dollars, and I'll need it sometime.

I thought about the lovely creamy yarn I've got at home, to make myself a beautiful lacy Feather and Fan rectangle shawl. I considered how long it would take to make Mom's shawl, Polly's (my aunt), and then the cream colored one. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be doing the black and gray one anytime soon! I sadly put it back; but it'll be there when I'm ready for it.

If not, I'm sure I can find it online. I was pretty proud of myself. I went by Favorite Dollar and got more baggies, and a few lollipops. I am actually well-set for candy now. I just need to organize it sometime tonight.

Mom's shawl had some odd white patches in the yarn, and I knitted them into the shawl. In retrospect, I should have cut out that whole portion of the yarn. Anyway, I had an idea. Years and years ago, I spilled tea on a butter-yellow afghan. I was never able to wash out the stain.

The white spots emerged in the dark brown portion of the yarn. Tea. White. Brown. I made a very concentrated batch of tea and dabbed it on with a Q-tip. Things look far better now. I plan to do another application, and then if I don't love it, pull out that whole section and re-do.

Then I went to Starbucks. It was kind of funny, when I gave New Testament candy (NT in the quart bag, with the candy) the shift leader got really excited. "She can really use this right now" and called her over to get the gift. Nice.

Then, on the way home, the driver asked me if I was "On another crusade". She saw me during a Big Bible handout (I do it at the intersection of 2 bus lines, both run often). I told her, not today but I'm always distributing. She was disappointed I got off when I did. She thought I'd be riding for a longer time. It's always nice to get encouraging feedback.

Tomorrow, supposed to be a day off, but we're going to work. Fixing the coffee machine, hopefully. At the very least stocking all the other machines.

When I got home I took a sponge bath and laid down for a nap. Bubba-cat came and slept with me. What a sweet boy.

The headache is still around, but I'll make it.

No comments: