Monday, September 27, 2010

"God's Dog"

Last night as I lay in bed, I had a thought.  I want to confine the neighbor's dog so it stays off our property, and doesn't get hit by a car.  I want the method of confinement to be available whenever she gets out.  Why not buy a chain with a padlock? 

The house has a large tree; the chain could be run around the tree and padlocked (so the tenants can't remove it), then, when the dog gets out, clip her to the chain.  She's confined, IN THEIR YARD.   Our front yards, in the subdivision, are not fenced. 

That's exactly what I did, and sure enough, as I got out of the vehicle I saw the dog on our porch, again.  I opened the chain (I think 15 feet is plenty) and secured it to the tree.  Doggie went on the end of the chain.  I found it sad that the tenants can't be bothered to do a single thing for this dog. 

So far, so good.  I don't hate the dog, I just want it off my property.  I don't want the liability and the fecal issues, either. 

Speaking of, last night was difficult.  I needed to be in bed by 6.  Ron was drunk and decided I was "mean" because I refused to fill up a water bowl for the dog.  "It's not our dog, Ron.  If I wanted a dog, and I don't, I wouldn't pick her.  I have enough on my plate without an escape artist, fence-destroying, car-chaser, barking dog."  I just KNOW this dog's story will end badly.  She runs out into the street (when off the chain) after cars, directly into the path of oncoming traffic. 

Ron and I have asked, nicely and not so nicely, for the tenants to please SECURE THE ANIMAL and REPAIR THE DAMAGE.  They laugh at us. 

Anyway, Ron was shouting at me.  Got my temper up.  I didn't shout back, I just told him "It's not your dog!"  Ron decided he had to care for "God's dog" by dragging a bucket outside and filling it with water.  It took forever.  It made a tremendous racket. 

Then I got to listen to hours of Ron going in and out the front door.  Giving the dog treats, getting more wine, etc.  Ugh.  Exhausting.  Somewhere in there I had my "chain" revelation. 

I tried to be positive, thanking God for my blessings.  Thanking God for the fact that I HAD gotten a nap earlier.  More racket.  Ron told me later he took a piece of plywood out of the garage, went next door "Rung the doorbell 20 times" and then left the wood propped against the door.  He had persistently told me that perhaps they couldn't get any wood to repair one of the many dog holes in our fence. 

I have tried to tell him, with an SUV, a pickup truck, and an old style van, I think they can get over to the Home Improvement store.  It's only 5 minutes up the road.  They just don't WANT to take care of the dog. 

I think they secretly hope it is hit by a car, or runs away.  After a few hours of noise it got ominously silent.  I worried that maybe Ron had fallen outside and needed help.  I got up and walked towards the front door, and Ron was outside, in his chair, with the dog in his lap.  Agh. 

I went back to bed and somewhere around 10 I fell asleep.  I woke up at 2.  Had to get ready for work.  It took me about 20 minutes to get my head into a happy place where I was willing to do my God Time and not resentful or hateful.  I did my God Time.  I did up Driver Candy.  I prepared my breakfast.  I woke Ron up. 

For a man who'd gotten the same amount of sleep, he seemed disgustingly spry.  I tried to explain he had woken me up, but was met with fierce denials.  "You woke me up - No I didn't!"  I just gave up.  God will show him one day.  Some battles I have to give to God. 

We picked up someone on the way to work.  She was going to dialysis.  They always seem so miserable.  I have reached a conclusion.  If my kidneys fail, I do not want dialysis.  Odds are I would not be eligible for a kidney transplant anyway, having mental illness.  I would not be interested in prolonging my life and being dependent on machines.  So, no dialysis. 

I have also decided I do not want any radiation treatments.  I have heard horrible things about radiation, how people suffer.  Or I could go to Jesus?  Not a tough call. 

Unless God paints it in the sky, I would not fight very hard for my life.  I feel I have done what He has assigned, and "Look forward to my exit" to quote the Ambassador ("Gimmie Dat"). 

Deep thoughts at 4 AM, huh?  So, we got to work.  Ron and I talked a little about Romeo.  Short version, he seems to be battling a major depression.  Rather than get any assistance from (our) vending, he is forcing his employees to do extra work. 

Ron said "You used to be good friends.   Did the pass bother you that much?"  No, I explained.  I understood that.  What "freaked me out" for lack of a better term, was the stalking behavior afterward.  I had to get my husband to tell him to leave me alone.  He was pushing his way into my stockroom and shouting at me.  Ron had to warn him he could lose his business if this got out!   Then he stopped, finally, now it's just this petty vengence crap. 

Does the man have nothing better to do with his life?  It's alarming, disturbing, and very sad.  I'm glad I have God, and know God is protecting me.  That man concerns me. 

{shudder]  Happily, I can avoid him.  He's blind, I'm not.  I also have my pepper spray should the worst happen. 

Work went pretty well.  Sales seem to be picking up somewhat; and I noticed they are calling a lot of overtime.  People who pack a lunch for an 8-hour shift often work an extra 4.  They get hungry.  [wink] 

Our vending machines say "Thank you for supporting Ron and Heather" and two of the 3 shifts see Ron and I stocking the machines.  I think some of our regulars buy snacks just to help us out.  So, God is good. 

Ron still has to pay the "Blood Insurance" (Flood Insurance - the leeches want $970; not optional per our mortgage), but other than that things are good.  The new food items we introduced are popular; and we had a good day at work. 

After work, we went to Walmart.  I made a small deposit and Ron turned in his prescription for some psoriasis cream.  He is flaking pretty badly.  I had horrific hot flashes and nausea all day; I just got some soda.  Ron asked me if I wanted a sausage on a stick and I almost vomited. 

Ugh.  I did manage to eat a few bunless burgers, and the nausea abated.  I don't get that.  I eat, the nausea goes away.  You would think it would get worse!  Oh, well. 

I told Ron, no question in my mind: I will take physical "illness" over mental anyday.  I signed up for side effects, and I thank God I have them. 

Today went very well, in no small part due to my medication.  I am thrilled God put the idea for the dog chain in my head.  They can't get rid of it without bolt cutters, and now I can confine the dog properly whenever she gets out. 

They have little girls; I think they would take better care of the dog for them, if nothing else.  It would destroy a little girl to find her dog dying in the street as she got off the schoolbus! 

No comments: