Saturday, March 22, 2008

Why did I get up this morning?

I'd like to think I am a loving, understanding person right now. I'm not even angry, I'm just a little hurt and disappointed.

Let me tell you about my day. I woke up at 6 AM to go to work. We were supposed to finish at 12. It looked like a pretty good day. We had a very nice driver and even though I ran out of driver candy she didn't mind.

We got to work. I'm doing snacks, I help Ron. He left his cart in an odd place and kept asking me where it was. I told him nicely every time. I help him with sodas. Right about the time I should be doing crackers Ron asks me to put the creamer in the coffee vending machine. It's a very fine powder and he always ends up filthy when he does it.

We have an API 223 coffee machine. It is an excellent machine. It has about 8 various bins. Each bin holds a different coffee powder or complement (cream and sugar). Certain items have to go in certain containers - for one, it's programmed that way. They also have special motors to help whip (stir quickly) the beverage. If you order something like French Vanilla, it's going to drop the powder in the hot water, whip it quickly to blend, and squirt it into your coffee cup. The machines are expensive and difficult to repair.

I open the machine, and discover, to my horror, that Ron has placed ground coffee into the French Vanilla dispenser. It's mixed and when the button is pressed, it dispenses a thin grayish beverage with coffee grounds on top. They look for all the world like roach droppings. I'm horrified. We can't sell this!

I tell him. I try to scoop it all out. It doesn't work, the mechanism inside the canister makes it impossible to empty it from the top. I get a spork. Over an hour passes. In the meantime, Ron is raving angrily about a "God who would let him make a mistake like this." I have to endure it. I finally tell him "I feel like I'm being punished because you are angry at God. You are very angry and I can't help but feel a little attacked." He assures me he's angry at God and tones it down somewhat.

He calls the repairman, who's out making calls. He can swing by on the way to another appointment, at 12 maybe. Or later, he's not sure. Ron says, please come when you can.

We have to put our ride on hold. That means - who knows when we'll get home? Ron is insisting he must stock all the pastries, do the soda, etc. I finally tell him, that's fine but I'm starving. I need to eat. I don't give him a choice and I go get the one thing I packed in my lunch (chef salad) because we would only be there a few hours, right?

Oooooooh. I help Ron with everything. He says, once, that I'm a big help. I take out the dumpster. I check all the sell-by codes. I never do get to do the crackers because he's got me running so much.

The repairman comes out around 1. He shows Ron how to remove the whole canister. I dump it out, the contents were a total loss. He shows Ron how to put the canister back into the machine. They do it a few times to make sure he's got it.

I'm starving again. After all, I only brought a salad. But what does a dairy-peanut-chocolate-artificial colors-intolerant person eat? I ate a bag of BBQ pork rinds, unfortunately they had sugar on the label. I can't sell the plain ones fast enough so that was it. Oh, and Slim Jims. I was very impressed with the slim jims. I ate 2 small ones with my lithium and I didn't get sick. They helped hold off my hunger for quite a while, too.

Finally, 2 PM, we can go. Our ride arrives at 3. We get home around 3:30. I check on my plant babies, they are fine. When I come in the house Ron is demanding to know the location of the BBQ he brought home from work. I tell him clearly. He tells me he doesn't want to look around. I tell him, I'm on the freaking toilet, you'll have to wait. He finally looked where I told him and found it. All he said was, "OH, it is here".

Thank you Heather. I'm sorry I'm so demanding Heather. I know sometimes I act like you have to jump every time I yell frog, no matter what. I know that isn't fair to you and I'm sorry. I won't even get angry at God and rave at him because I know it bothers you. My issues with God are personal and I won't drag you into them, forcing you to listen to my ranting for hours a day. Since I figured this out, I will try to appreciate you more and understand you had the same lousy day I did. It isn't fair to make your day worse just because I'm frustrated.

When I got inside, I took a nap. I only slept about an hour because Ron was banging around angrily, running into chairs, and opening and closing the front door. He knew I was trying to sleep, but I guess he figured "Taking care of this business" was more important than my need to rest. When I told him he woke me up, he said he was done and I could go back to sleep now. I told him, my body doesn't work like that. He got all huffy.

I organized my side table. I counted my spare change. I fixed myself some dinner. Tasty turkey breast sauteed in olive and soybean oil. No veggies, I was bad. I figured my carb count was up anyway from the bbq pork rinds. I even drank most of my water.

I then decided to make Ron his favorite, tuna and egg salad. He was asleep. After I boiled the eggs it took me 40 minutes to peel them. The eggs are fresh and they tend to stick to the shell. I heard Ron woke up and I told him 3 times, I'm making your tuna and egg salad. On at least one occasion, he said "OK".

Once I was nearly finished, except for the mayo, I heard cellophane rattling. I said "I hope you're not ruining your appetite for the tuna and egg salad! I'm almost done making it!"

He starts bitching. He just ate a bag of peanuts. He didn't hear me say I was making it. I should have "Clarified" it with him, meaning I should repeat myself until he says he heard me. Excuse me, do you know how long that would take? And when I do it, he complains that he's "not that deaf". I'm sorry, it's not my fault you didn't hear me.

Then he gets all pissy again and starts raving at God again. Ugh.

Why did I get up this morning? I'm going to go bag up some driver candy. At least they appreciate me.

No comments: