Friday, March 28, 2008

I bought a can of fat today

Today was just a wild day. A good day, but a wild one. It started with a sausage patty for breakfast, as usual. I took my morning meds and ran out the door. Halfway to work, I realize I've left my purse at home. I'm feeling very thick-headed and slow. I didn't sleep well last night and had to take a couple of benadryl (our miracle knock-out pill).

What does my purse contain? My ID badge to GET INTO THE BUILDING. My keys so I can DO MY JOB. Most importantly, it has my PILLS. Ron was so awesome, all he said was "I'm just happy you realized it now instead of worrying you left it on the van." What a sweetie! I'm taking breaks here to gnaw on a hamburger patty.

We were supposed to leave work around 9:20. Our ride didn't get there until over an hour an a half late (which was good because Ron needed to stock some last minute items). We finally got to the bank. We were supposed to get home at 12:30, remember this.

At 12:30 PM, we got picked up from the bank. But wait, there's more. We have to find the other client and take her home first. She lives right over by where we work. Then we drove back to the grocery store. I ate my 1 ounce bag of pork rinds en route. That was it for my snacks.
Around this time, I got a call from my Dr's office. All my lab tests came back normal and I am in the ideal lithium range. I was hoping I could get my dosage reduced, but I have to keep taking 4 pills a day. But I can't because I don't have my PILLS!

I went to the dollar store and found a few little items I wanted. I am very fond of their woven plastic bags, they are very durable. I got a "junior" kind of a regular shopping bag size with a zippered top.

The only seating area at the grocery store, by the way, is in the BAKERY section. I am surrounded by gooey treats. They even have free samples. Suprisingly, it wasn't all that hard to resist, but I was getting hungry. So what does a dairy-nut intolerant low-carber eat?
I found "our" brand of pork rinds. They had the hot, the plain (I just ordered a whole case of them for myself to be delivered Monday), and something new. Salt and Pepper. I look at the label. It does have a little bit of MSG but it has garlic, onion, salt, and pepper in the pork rinds. I thought "What the hell" and bought a bag.

Oh, it is so good. They are Mac's snacks Salt and Pepper pork rinds. Here's a link so you know the ingredients and the bag's appearance: [URL="http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=3183"]Macs Salt and Pepper pork rinds[/URL]
I ate about an ounce of them. I shared a few with Ron, warning him "If you like them tell me and I will buy you your own bag." He liked them of course. I ended up buying 5 bags total, one for him, the half-eaten lifesaver bag, and 3 spares. They have a good long code that expires in May.
I got a few spice items, some ingredients for my famous low carb pasta (I will be eating my meats and sauce over spaghetti squash). I use Dreamfield's. But I won't eat it right now, it ought to be delicious over spaghetti squash. I want to eat as "cleanly" as possible.

Now we're done. We wait over an hour for our ride home. When I got home I located my purse and took a nap. I finally ate something and took my pills.

I have to share a fun ritual I have when it comes to weight loss. Last time, I had someone take a photo of me next to 10 cans of Crisco - the amount of fat I'd lost. I lost 70 pounds.
Today I found some cheap trans-fat vegetable shortening. I picked up the can. It was big. It was also about 2 pounds and 10 ounces. I did the math and realized I had lost over 6 cans of the stuff IN ONE MONTH. I was so thrilled I bought the can of shortening just to keep around. If I get discouraged, I can look at it and say "I'm doing great, I lost 10 of these" or however many increments I've lost.

I think everyone doing low-carb should do this. It's incredible to actually SEE the fat lost. Last time, I bought one can for each increment I lost and I was getting overrun. This time, I think I will just have the 42 ouncer and a 7 pounder. It's so much fun to hold the can and realize I've lost six and two-thirds of them.

No comments: