Sunday, March 2, 2008

Cardinals in the red-tips

I've got cardinals in my red-tips. I have large red-tip photinas next to the house. I've allowed them to grow and keep a natural form, while maintaining the pathway to the side yard. They're nice and dense (but no space for muggers, etc. to hide in them) so the birds love them. I've got a blue jay, a couple of ring-neck morning doves, a flock of sparrows, and the cardinals. They all visit on occasion (they like to look in on me while I'm posting or internetting), but it's been all cardinals, all the time the last few days. I find them adorable. They're a cute couple and smart enough to stay away from the cats. I'm sure the love the organic bugs in my yard, too.

I did an inventory today and two marigolds were "total losses" black to the roots. I pulled them up and put them in the compost pile. When I was at Walmart this morning I was assaulted by marigolds, they just kept jumping in my cart (I got a six pack each of "Bolero" and another orange "Safari"). Poor Heather. Since I like eating parsley (I chop it and put it in my salad), I decided to get a pot of it. I like the jiffy pots, I can just rip off the sides, compost them, and plant the works. I just got the eyeball from Mrs. Cardinal. She's cute. Parsley takes FOREVER to sprout. I tried once, I got it to germinate, but it took weeks. I'm all for instant gratification impulse gardening purchases on occasion so I went ahead and got it and a chives (chives are great, and very low carb), in addition to the marigolds.

Speaking of lowcarb, I got more eating vegetables today than I normally do. I went with a head of the purple cabbage (organic), and nice red pepper (not organic, but I washed it well). That's in addition to the chopped frozen broccoli, chopped frozen mustard greens, zuccini (sp), and fresh organic mixed baby salad greens I already had in the fridge. That's a lot more than usual for me!

I made a great garden omlette with 1/4 c each of the chopped cabbage (it turns green in cooking, or at least mine did), red pepper, and broccoli. It was very good. My appetite is getting tamed somewhat, I'm not so ravenous all the time. I guess I needed more protein in my diet.

I tried to eat a little mozzarella cheese yesterday and I woke up with a terrible headache today. I won't do that again! It was disappointing to me to see that all the hams were loaded with sugar. It was like: pork, dextrose... aw, man. I'm getting away from sugar, make it easy for me! But the food processors don't want to loosen their grip on my wallet, so I have to cook my own food from fresh. I am SO glad I've already started a veggie garden.

Oh, my beans are sprouting, even the 3 year old seed. I'm glad I gave them a try. Green (or purple) beans are very low carb and delicious. I'm trying to eat/grow various colors of vegetables, because the arguments about their cancer-fighting properties just makes sense. I also love eating brightly colored food. The only downside is the fact that I'll have to focus on covering my lettuce, tomatoes, beans, and marigolds tomorrow because we've got another cold snap coming. I think my carrot seedlings will be OK. I know the root crops are pretty frost-hardy. I just need to start some more lettuce to make up for the ones that didn't make it, but I'd like to wait until my seed comes from Frank Morton. I'd love to grow some vivid purple, heat-resistant lettuce. The red romaine didn't do so well in the cold, either, so I've got to do more of it also.

We're definitely getting some wild weather tomorrow. It's going to be exciting getting my deliveries and meeting the "new guy" on the sandwich route. Ron and I are keeping the trips to a minimum.

That's it for now!

No comments: