Thursday, March 6, 2008

Feels like 34

I didn't cover my plants earlier because I wanted them to get a good drink and all the "sun" they could get. I took a nap when I got home. When I woke up, it was cold, too cold for "The Babies". Now, almost anything can get categorized as one of my "babies" but for now it's plants.

It's pouring rain. It's windy. It feels like 34 degrees. That's not counting the extra chill when I'm soaked from the freezing rain because I need both hands free to cover the babies.

I went outside and covered everyone. I'm going to keep my frost covers dry from now on - they're impossible to use wet. I covered one tomato plant thus: A large 55 gallon heavy duty "contractor" bag over the tomato cage, then an old coat over the plastic bag. Other plants were covered with fleece blankets, old pots, and buckets. I got thoroughly drenched but all the babies are nice and snug.

Remember when I said I wouldn't plant the 6-packs and herbs I bought because of the impending bad weather? Well, a couple years ago I bought restaurant type plastic trays, the kind you get at a fast food place. I put all the potted babies on that and brought it in. It's a bit crowded but everyone's happy.

I told the plants "I'd only do this for you." I mean it. Now it's dark out, my winter coat's in the dryer, all the babies are snug, and I'm not afraid of the forecast low.

It's going to be fun getting ready for Metrolift tomorrow. Brrrr. Thank God I still have some Hot Hands left.

No comments: