Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Lead us not into temptation...

My parents are coming to visit. I only have one "good" chair in the living room. I decided to get a matching loveseat to go with it (the Lillberg) at IKEA. I thought, it'll be OK. Sure, I commited some awful food sins in the cafeteria but I'll be fine, they have breakfast.

My husband and I use the paratransit service, the "short bus" to get around. No big deal, right? Well, they came half an hour early (we were ready though) and we had a straight trip. That meant we got there an hour before the store opened.

I had brought drinks in my big canvas tote bag, so I just opened one. We waited and waited some more. I told my husband about the bottle vending machines IKEA has installed (I bet they make some good cash off of those bad boys). I even read him the product selection. How funny, IKEA has a Pepsi contract and we work with Dr Pepper.

By the time the store opened, I was starving. I ran upstairs. Ron needed to use the bathroom. OK. He comes out. "I don't want to stand in line, can you bring me the food?" Sure, I told him. He gave me some money and I got a tray.

I don't know how your IKEA works but ours funnels you past the desserts before you get to the "Lunch Lady". I stared, eyeball to eyeball with chocolate mousse, chocolate cake, and cheesecakes.

THANK GOD CHOCOLATE AND DAIRY GIVE ME MIGRAINES NOW! I was so hungry...
I got 2 breakfasts. Now breakfast is a good deal, $1 for about 8 ounces of scrambled eggs, 2 thin strips of crispy bacon, and about a cup and a half of potatoes. I used to love those potatoes.
I have to carry, not one, but 2 trays of the stuff to the checkout. They have cinnamon rolls and pancakes. As I approach the checkout, I see muffins and crossaints.

I made it. I got 2 drinks (diet pepsi for me, DH loves the lingonberry drink).
When I got to the table, I scraped all the potatoes (not one bite, although tempted) onto HIS PLATE. He's got carb-blockers. They work for him. He's in maintenance. I doubt even the sugary fruit drink will affect him.

I ate my eggs, bacon, and diet pepsi. I did my shopping. I bought the loveseat and arranged to have it delivered. I got other stuff and considered accessories. It's 2 hours later. I'm hungry again. I finish all my business. I'm really hungry.

I call DH "I'm going to get a hot dog or two without the bun and come get you some lunch". I'd left him in the cafeteria - he hates shopping. He looked at the loveseat, liked it, knows how to assemble it now, back to the table
.
"Don't get the hot dog, just come up. Maybe they have something you can eat." No, I told him, I'm getting the hot dogs. If I see something delicious upstairs, then I can always save the hot dog for later.

As I'm standing in line for the hot dog, I'm tormented by scents of cinnamon roll and giant images of same on the billboard right above my head. "What would you like?" asked the cashier.
"Three hot dogs with no buns, please." She was happy to do it.

When I got upstairs, I didn't see anything appropriate for me. DH wanted meatballs with brown gravy and french fries (He's stayed at 150 eating like this for years) and carb-blockers. I hit the salad bar, which was actually quite excellent. I saw endive, radiccio, and various colored lettuces in the salad mix. It was awesome, especially with a drizzle of olive oil and some red wine vinegar. I'm getting those for home, by the way. DELICIOUS.

[Big sigh] I survived! And my waist is a quarter-inch smaller today!

No comments: