Saturday, March 15, 2008

The battle of the bowl - I clean a toilet

I've been fighting with the hard water stains in my toilet bowl. I couldn't bend over without dizzy spells, so it was fairly grim. It was clean, but it had the mineral stains. I can't have icky hard water stains in the bowl when Mom and Dad come to visit!

Since starting a low-carb lifestyle, the dizzy spells and other symptoms have gone away. I can finally get in there with my pumice stone and haul on those stains. A few weeks ago, I drained all the water out, applied the Clorox toilet bowl cleaner, and let it sit. Ron forgot I was cleaning the toilet and flushed it, so I wrote off that episode. The minerals were still solidly affixed.

Take 2, this morning. I woke up and I knew Ron wouldn't be up for hours. I did the same thing, drained the water, Clorox toilet bowl cleaner. A couple hours later I went after it with my pumice stone. I was able to get 90% of the minerals off. Thank God, most of it looks great now. But the back part, above the hole, is still adhered.

I hit it with more clorox (after draining), waited a couple hours, scrub scrub. No joy. So, I tried "The Works", it's a cheap toilet bowl cleaner that claims it gets off hard water stains. I'm going to give it a few hours and see. The stains are already appreciably paler, so they should flake off when I get it with my pumice stone.

Ah, the exciting life. I'm an optimist, though. I told Ron "It's nice to know it's our toilet. I may have to clean it but it's ours."

Don't worry, I'll get 'em. If nothing I have works then I'll try some CLR. Then I'll put one of those blue things in the tank to prevent more stains.

I'm glad I only have one toilet to clean.

No comments: