Saturday, March 15, 2008

I talk about shoes

I've had this question for a long time. It plagues me every time I see it and I always want to put it in my blog.

Why, in God's name, would a woman wear high heels to Walmart?

Yay. My furniture just arrived. Ron and I can assemble it when he gets home.

Back to the heels. I don't get it. They are painful. They ruin your feet. Why?

I like the suggestion I got from a Nigerian cab driver. He told me he could tell I was happily married. "Oh, how?" "You are wearing comfortable shoes." he replied in his beautiful accent "The women who are trying to catch a man always wear the painful shoes. The women who are happy with the man they've got wear comfortable, practical shoes."

That theory makes as much sense as anything. I thank God every day I work for a man who doesn't care that I wear sneakers to work. I have to wear a men's size 9 W to avoid pain. NO, I don't have anything weird on my feet, I just have broad feet. The women's wide shoes hurt my feet. If it hurts, I don't wear it (with one exception at an extremely formal wedding we attended, my gallant husband gave me a foot massage all the way to the reception). Lucky me! He understands.

Admittedly, he does like the click-clack of high heels but he doesn't want me to hurt myself trying to please him. When I was at Walmart yesterday (the poor pharmacy people are swamped!), I stopped by the shoe department to see if they had anything reasonable in a mens 9W sneaker.

I was thrilled to find the "Johnny" sneaker in my size, and it fits great. No pain, no constriction. It has excellent padding and arch support. It was only $10 for the pair. Then, I saw the "Silver Series" with a velcro closure. Nice and very plush, the padding feels like an ankle massage. Again, $10. Normally I spend between $20-40 for a pair of shoes (always athletic shoes), so even if these "crap out" on me in a few months I can just get a new pair. I have to wear sneakers to work so it's great to find something comfy and practical. On my off days, you'll find me in a sandal or a comfortable mule-type slip on.

The last pair I got, from Payless (the cashier was manic), only lasted about 6 months, and they cost me $25 before tax. Now, I am heavy so that was surely a factor.

But YAY! Cute, well-fitting shoes for $10 a pair! I love it.

No comments: