Sunday, February 14, 2021

Preparing for a hard freeze

 I talked to my parents last night.  They didn't know about our winter storm coming in.  

It's a big deal to Houston because our houses, all of them, were built for between 40-80 degrees NOT at all constructed to deal with pipe freezing issues.  

They had said they might come out this fall, which would work for me as I have to raise money for a caregiver for Ron.  I can't leave him for a day.  A couple hours, yes, but not a day.  So I will have to find someone willing to deal with our quirks and to deal with his issues.  And raise the money to pay them.  According to the caregiver group the going rate is between $200-300 for 24 hours.  

I don't gossip about Ron's care as you have seen, so they (parents) don't have a good idea what all he needs day to day.  Not sure how to say something or even if Ron would want me to.  But they are assuming he is spry and he is not.  

So then they were saying late this spring and I was thinking oh, crap.  But now they are saying they don't want to come for a while because Ron is not vaccinated and they don't want to bring it to him.  Understandable but I wouldn't blame them I would blame Ron for not getting the vax.  

So that was that.  They are doing well.  Wanted to know about my sister.  I sent her a very polite text "Is it a good time to talk?" and signed it "Heather" just so she knew...and no response I guess she is not interested.  BUT I can tell our brother I reached out he saw me as the bad guy in that.  He was very nice about it but felt I was being unreasonable.  

He is a very nice guy.  My Dad wanted to know why I stopped talking to her and I said she was trying to make me choose between her and Ron.  YES at the time Ron was not being an ideal husband but he is my husband and I made a commitment to him. I can't just walk away because he called me names.  

And he has been fine lately so that isn't even an issue anymore.  And the picture she painted of life with her - and knowing she is a hoarder and would constantly be putting stuff in my space, what little I had - was not appealing.  

So I slept OK last night.   Ron did too. I brought all the paint cans (many!) and cleaning supplies in from the garage so they don't freeze.  Also the bottled water from the disaster kit, sitting out in the garage.  I didn't want it to freeze and I am cutting off my water tonight so I brought it in.  

I put some buckets in the tub I will fill those last thing and use them for flushing.  We can drink the bottled water and be fine.  

Hopefully this is only a couple days but could go all week.  

I also need to run next door and tell the girls (#2) to wrap their hose faucets, they haven't yet.  I like them and I don't want to see them with frozen pipes.  Yes I will appear to be meddling but I will take the chance.  

That's it for now.  

No comments: