Saturday, February 20, 2021

Heather's Hitlist, top products that helped during the freeze

 As you know Houston froze over.  I was most of a week without power and no power for a couple days as well.  What worked?  I will only focus on things that did well.  

  • 5 gallon utility buckets (just the basic ones you find everywhere) and 2 liter empty "pop" bottles.  Filled with water before I cut off my water (to prevent pipe freezes, which worked).  I could flush, drink, etc. all I wanted as I had a decent amount.  Keeping all that even though it takes up some space.  
  • Battery operated lanterns.  I had two types, forget the first type but got this from Amazon.  It runs on a couple of double A batteries and lasts a long time, good light as well.  Less than $20 for two.   https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018L2WM86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Come on, you can do that, how many lattes is that?  
  • Teakettle for my gas stove.  I could boil water all day long and make tea, oatmeal, cup of noodles, and camping meals (freeze dried food, just add boiling water).  I got mine at an Asian grocery for about $10.  It would also be good for "boil water" orders.  
  • Mountain House or other camping food.  The just add boiling water type.  Monday was not a fun day for me, the house was freezing cold and I was hungry.  I made a sweet and sour pork and it made my night so much better.  They even have desserts.  NOT cheap by my standards but worth it in a REAL emergency.  https://smile.amazon.com/stores/Mountain+House/page/02A77928-AFE6-4D10-9F41-9EE4E53AD9CB?ref_=ast_bln 
  • Scented candle.  Very nice during a bad time.  Didn't give much light but did smell nice and pretty flame.  
  • Mylar blanket.  Really did help (I put mine under the fitted sheet).  
That's it for now if I think of more I will add them.  

No comments: