Thursday, April 30, 2015

Ring around the ulcer

"Heather" Ron told me solemnly "I need to show you something.  Don't freak out when you see it". 

Is there any phrase more alarming than "Don't freak out when you see it?"  He took off his pants. 

Sure enough, he has another ulcer.  Ugh! 

I think I was pretty calm and logical.  At one point he accused me of "getting emotional". 

"If I got emotional" I snapped.  "I'd cut the cord off that damned massager!" 

For those who don't know, Ron has neuropathy.  He has a very bad habit of using a vibrating back massager on his legs, falling asleep, and creating friction blisters.  On occasions, the blisters break open, get ulcerated, and infect.  It's a God-awful mess, made worse by at least one medical professional who thought I was burning him! 

Ulcerated, check.  I think it's about 2 inches in diameter, if not larger. 
I don't think it's infected yet. 

"It wasn't too bad at first" he said sheepishly "But it's getting bad and I thought you could help".  Help, being home remedies, peroxide and antibiotic cream, vitamins, and other supplements.  He then told me a horrifying story of his own home surgery on "A big flap" with a pair of scissors. 

I had to, and still am, repress a massive urge to whip him like a mule.  First or second time, I could understand, but both legs are covered in scars.  He even has a scar on top of one foot, and boy that one scared me. 

He refuses to go to the doctor.  I imagine, if it does progress, he'll wake me up in the middle of the night to go to the hospital.  I think I'd better update my hospital bag. 

I will do what I can, at home.  The last doctor basically said peroxide and neosporin, and he was a dermatologist (he was the one who thought I was burning Ron).  I would put up a photo, but someone would come and drag his butt to a doctor. 

I have to figure a man who manages all our finances, pays the bills, does all the accounting for the business, and just paid over a thousand dollars in sales tax can make his own medical decisions.  I don't like it, but I accept it, for now.  

I do plan to mark it so I can see if it's getting bigger.  I'll keep you posted. 

No comments: