Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Next Stop

Today I actually, almost, had a Day Out. 

Ron took me to Walmart.  We bought a few things and he went home. 

Then I went (on the bus), to the Container Store.  I went in and asked about the folding boxes.  I got blank looks.  "The what?  We used to have them..." 

I explained, I saw them on your website, last night.  Oh.  More blank looks. 

[And this is a really high end neighborhood, I think they'd put the A-list out on the sales floor]

"Let me put it this way" I said "If you had them, where would they be?"  They told me, I went, and found them immediately. 

I ended up getting 2 of these:  http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10034762&N=&Ntt=folding+crates, and one of another box that is a little less ambitious.  I thought that would be better for smaller loads, like Spanish. 

Nothing against Latinos, but I am called to Acres Homes and the Latinos are only 10% of the population.  If I have Spanish I bring it and God always brings recipients. 

I tested them repeatedly and asked God to make it obvious if they wouldn't work, somehow.  They worked.  I put them in my tote bag (I bet security loved that!), and took them out.  I took some Bibles out of my tote bag (it's a sad day when I am caught without Bibles) and tried them in the box, yeah, I can put a lot. 

Then I went up front and paid for them.  I ended up buying the $2 Container Store tote bag, which gets props because it has both long and short handles, in addition to being nicely rugged.  I put my Walmart junk (a six pack of Diet Dr Pepper bottles, etc), in the CS bag and the crates in "my" bag. 

I had some unspent birthday money.  Happy birthday to me.  Then I went to go wait on the bus again. 

I called Mom and Dad, and explained Acres Homes to them, as if Oakland, and East Palo Alto (formerly a gang-infested, highly dangerous city with the highest per captia murder rate in the nation) had a baby.  The baby would be Acres Homes.  They immediately got it; and I've explained this to them before. 

I'm not trying to scare them but I want them to appreciate the irony of God calling someone like me to go somewhere very different.  I will also, always, appreciate prayer protection. 

The sky was pretty ominous and Ron didn't want me caught in the rain.  He kept talking about calling me a cab, and I knew he would.  Even if I told him not to do it. 

Ron, like me, is overprotective.  Most of the time I find it very sweet. 

Huge black thunderheads hung overhead.  I decided to skip Academy Sports (I am considering buying another pair of $20 work shoes), and just go home.  So I did that. 

It's an interesting fact.  Most drivers will tell the passenger, if you want to get off my route and catch the other bus, you have to get off the bus, walk half a block to the corner, turn the corner, and walk down a block to the bus stop. 

No, you don't.  If the passenger rides to the next stop, they can get off and sit on a nice high retaining wall (perfect butt level) and wait on the other bus.  A driver told me, and I always do that now.  The clouds still looked pretty freaky. 

I shared my cookies (yes, I am back on plan) with a nice lady as we waited.  Do you know that an evaluator once said I was "Extremely naive and trusting?"  Still guilty, I guess. 

The bus came, I got on, got off at "my" stop.  The sky looked pretty bad.  I called Ron and told him I was almost home (the sad thing, Container store to my house is a 5 minute car ride - I am glad I was never able to drive or I'd be a lot more upset about riding public transit).  It started to rain.  Ron prayed for it to stop and yelled at God. 

Well, it stopped.  My bus came pretty quick (as these things go) and it was almost clear by the time I got home.  I guess the cold front or high pressure came.  Ron's prayers didn't hurt, either. 

Then I had to walk from the bus stop to the house.  I was so glad my crates are plastic and lightweight.  It was really humid, which is just miserable. 

I still love Houston, but I was ready for a cold drink when I finally got home. 

I ate, took my pills, and took my nap.  When I got up I dosed the cats.  I give them their Advantage on the first of the month to make it easy. 

Baby Girl is an angel when it comes to medication.  Torbie, not so much.  She doesn't fight but she resists and tries to get away.  Treats made it all better. 

Tomorrow we have a split shift at work, if we need it. 

No comments: