Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I love what I do

Oh, I am beat.  My alarm went off at 2:30, I hit the snooze a few times.  That meant I did half my God time first thing and the rest before I turned on the computer. 

I got up, showered, and ate.  I forgot to take my morning medication but I did get it later. 

We went to work, taking a lot of merchandise.  I stocked as much as I could, and then we left work and went to 2 stores to buy more merchandise. 

"Fill your machines" They say.  We did.  We worked 10 hours straight doing it; quite a feat for our disabilities. 

When we got back to work, from the stores, I stocked everything.  That took quite a while. 

The pastry takes the longest because I have to tag each item with an expiration date.  Your average frozen pastry item is good for a month to 35 days, once thawed. 

While working, I thought about my blog and what items I use for work.  I thought it might be fun to make a list. 

Things I need at work: 
  • Steel toed loafers, because I have a blind man in a wheelchair running over my feet. 
  • Jeans.  I need something with a little elastic because I do a lot of squatting, lifting, reaching, etc. 
  • Pocket-t shirt.  I prefer black for work.  When picking up items, I can put my security badge and keys into the pocket so they don't bang on the items. 
  • Lanyard for security badge.  Additional lanyard for keys (many, many, keys). 
  • Label gun.  For tagging pastry. 
  • 3 shelf handcart.  Used for transporting sodas, mainly.  Ron uses it most. 
  • Mag-liner folding hand cart.  When I stock, I put ALL the inventory on the cart and roll it out to the machines.  Then I'm not running to and from the stockroom to get additional items. 
  • Ponytail holder.  I can't have hair in my face when I'm working, not to mention it's a violation of health laws. 
  • Thermometer for the fridge.  Health laws again.  Do you really want your tuna sandwhich hanging out at 50 degrees? 
  • Diet Dr Pepper.  Ron buys me a case of cans every month and I am usually found stocking, with a Diet Dr nearby. 
You get the idea.  I got everything stocked. 

Well, almost.  Sam's did not have the Austin Variety pack crackers.  The cheese on cheese, peanut butter on cheese type variety pack.  All they had was a pretty iffy looking Lance variety pack (I just don't see my population going for cream cheese with chives, which is an included flavor selection).  [wince]  I just don't see them selling. 

So, I either have to buy the 40 pack PB on cheese, the PB on toast cracker; the "Whole Grain" variety pack with has 2 different kinds of cheese on whole grain, plus a peanut butter on whole grain.  The latter has a higher food cost but does appeal to the ever-picky "healthy" crowd.  They also sell decently; so I will probably stock the whole grain at minium. 

Worst case I will get the 40 counts of the other guys, but I liked the Austin Variety better.  So did the customers! 

Other than crackers, everything is awesome.  I even scored some Special Dark and told a longtime customer (he walks 5 minutes each way to buy these) they were back.  "If you buy them, I'll sell them!"  He was delighted. 

I also made sure other regulars knew I had their favorites in abundance.  A customer bought 2 items; I told him a third purchase would be a home run.  I really love what I do. 

No comments: