Monday, October 14, 2013

Luxuries

I do have some weaknesses, little luxuries I enjoy. 

Years ago, I used to work at a linen shop.  They got me addicted to really nice quality sheets.  I could never afford the top of the line, or even a pretty basic wool blanket, even with my discount, but the classes (I had about a week of training) taught me the value of a nice cotton sheet. 

I love cotton sheets.  I have a poly-blend on the computer room fold out, because I seldom use it, and I figure if anyone else used it they'd just be happy to have a soft bed. 

I think the most indulgent thing I ever did for myself was buying the queen sized cotton blanket.  I felt like I was living in a hotel, with a nice big blanket (I had been using a twin sized cotton blanket on the bed).  I still have it, over 9 years later.  It has a few snags but it's lovely. 

On occasion, I like a really nice cup of tea, but these days I'm pretty lazy and probably don't have the energy to make it. 

"You're crazy about smells" Ron tells me.  "It must be a woman thing." 

I do like a nice air freshener or candle.  I bought the largest Yankee Candle, rose scented, last year.  I made it last about 9 months.  I hated to say goodbye.  I loved burning it. 

I used my Christmas gift card to buy some Walmart candles, which are pretty decent.  I got 2 florals and a food one (one of those "I must have been manic" purchases - I don't really like food smells in candles).  I enjoy those. 

I used to get incense, but the import store stopped carrying the good stuff.  I also felt a little wierd burning it.  The ash makes a lot of mess and Ron's allergies are hair-trigger.  If he smells the wrong thing he has a massive attack, with sneezing and nose-blowing.  I don't want to vex him. 

So, I work around the allergies with various air fresheners, when I can afford them.  If you read my other post you know things will be very tight for a bit. 

I used to love to buy "Pure and Natural" soap when I was a kid.  I'd buy it with my allowance and use it in preference to the "family soap".  I don't mind sharing a bar of soap, but I didn't like the fragrance.  The Pure and Natural had a lovely honesuckle fragrance I enjoyed.  I recently found something by Dial that works very well. 

Ron's not a huge fan of lavender so I tend to avoid it.  I'm using some Orange & Honeysuckle soap I got a while back.  I always try to keep some soap, female products, and toilet paper on hand. 

I loved making my own soap but it got expensive, and Ron didn't want me to sell it for fear of liability issues.  I agreed.  I usually get some kind of bar soap off the shelf these days. 

I have a lovely bottle of a very indulgent vanilla body wash, by Softsoap.  I like the moisturizing aspects, even though I don't have dry skin. 

That's it for now... 

No comments: