Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Camel

I have gotten variations of the same question for the past few days. 

"Why don't you do outreach for middle class and wealthy people?" 

Well, first of all, I do.  Last summer I did an outreach at 290 and 1960, a pretty wealthy neighborhood.  I did hand out 40 Bibles.  I was almost run over 3 times and people kept trying to give me money.  Frankly, it got annoying.  I don't want money.   They freaked out if I offered them a Bible, but they wanted to give me money, like the money would make God happy without the committment of an actual Bible. 

Jesus said: Matthew 19:24
And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

He wasn't kidding. 

I found that frustrating.  It was clear to both of us that isn't my mission field. 

Then Ron (give the man his props) suggested we go to the ghetto.  He grew up in a ghetto in Houston.  We used to visit his parents frequently. 

One nice thing, ghettoes have great bus service.  I always felt safe.  God's given me a huge heart for my recipients.  I just want to hug them. 

When I got started doing Bible Handouts, I went to a middle class area, Antoine and Veterans.  First handout.  I did handouts there, on occasion, off and on for years, including one this year (where Mom took the slideshow photos of me doing the handout in the orange vest). 

My primary handout spot was 249 and Antoine, again, another middle-class area.  I worked that corner for 3 years.  One day God made it clear I was done. 

As I stood there with the sign, I had 3 people tell me "You already gave me a Bible".  I was saturated.  I have done a few handouts in that location this year but only as led by God. 

Safe to say the middle class have gotten at least a couple thousand Bibles. 

God's made it clear (like people chasing me down and pleading for a Bible) He wants me in the ghetto.  Acres Homes.  The fo-fo.  I go, happy to do it. 

I just have to make sure Ron is wearing a neutral shirt.  No red or blue. 

I also figured out why they kept yelling "Free Bibles" and waving hello as they drove by.  It's our street name. 

No comments: