Monday, September 30, 2013

Simple

Some days I'm pretty dry, nothing to write, especially when depressed. 

Other days I have a couple of issues poking at me. 

A friend of mine was discussing Lordship Salvation... and I didn't follow it.  I just believe in Jesus, pray, and read my Bible.  I can do that alone or among others.  I don't make it complicated. 

At the bottom of the thread, which had gone on for a while, a woman was proclaiming she had 2 degrees and could not figuure out the Bible for herself.  She had to be taught how to understand and interpret the Bible for herself. 

I don't often feel the Holy Spirit making a lot of noise in my life, generally directives to shut up, be nice, and pray.  Upon reading that I had alarm bells going off in my soul. 

I have always felt that God honors a simple faith.  Every cult I have encountered (ones perverting the Bible) have always said "Oh, you need someone to help you understand this." 

I quoted James 1:5 at a JW, not long ago.  She had never heard the verse: 
James 1:5
New King James Version (NKJV)
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

So, why do I need help?  Isn't it clear God will instruct me, Himself?  Of course I go to church.  My pastor teaches from the Bible but he doesn't add or take anything away. 

Years ago, I was given a Bible.  The commentary takes up more space than the actual Bible.  The commentary, to phrase it differently, outweighs the Bible.  I don't credit those teachings, especially after some online research, so I have shelved it. 

Do I hate commentary?  No.  I read a Chronological Daily Bible, and a Daily Bible, every day.  They have a minor amount of commentary vs. Scripture.  They clearly present it as their opinions and not the WORD OF THE LORD.  I wouldn't mind a NKJV Life Application Bible, but if you're going to spend that on me I'd rather have Handout Bibles. 

I have always felt it's best to run, if someone is putting their interpretation of Scripture, over scripture.  Even the KJV gang - I don't hand them out.  If you want a Bible, I have a Holman Christian Standard Bible.  I have a Children's Bible.  I have a Spanish Bible.  I have a NKJV Bible.  They are free, which one would you like?  Usually they take one home and read it. 

For the ones who object, I tell them "Go to the Dollar Store and buy me some, and I'll hand them out for you."  That always shuts them up.  I only had to do that once or twice.  One time I told the guy I would hand out MY Bibles on MY corner.  He could hand out HIS Bibles on THAT corner. 

I never saw him again. 

I believe God cherishes a simple faith; someone who believes, simply, trusting in God to direct them and lead them through life. 

Psalm 19:7
The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple
 
Psalm 116:6
The Lord preserves the simple; I was brought low, and He saved me.
 
Psalm 119:130
The entrance of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple.
 
It seems pretty clear to me. 
 
I used to wonder why I never got into the debates over what I always saw as insignificant details; but God has led me to understand that my faith is a valuable gem, I should guard it. 
 
I will. 
 

No comments: