Tuesday, October 15, 2013

You are not a dog

I have read a lot of comments about the food stamp-ede this weekend when the cards appeared to have no limits.  One woman bought over $700 worth of merchandise on a card with less than a dollar. 

It got me thinking.  Yesterday, on the way to work, the other client on board our van got very excited when she saw me loading the junk food.  I have developed an eye for the people who ask for "freebies". 

One driver, for instance said "Oh, I'd like to TASTE that!" and looked at me expectantly.  I took the box out of the van and said "I need to sell it".  She got angry. 

I consider myself a generous person but the inventory belongs to Ron's business.  It does not belong to me; it's not mine to give away. 

Other clients just beg.  "Oh, that looks so good!  Can I have one?"  I always give the same response "Sorry, I need it for work."  One woman we rode with twice, both times I happened to have snickers.  She was legally blind, had a talking blood sugar meter, on dialysis, and she wanted a snickers.  I think the time for candy is past. After I say no they whine for a bit and then glare at me, the big meanie.   Hopefully after that they ignore me. 

I need it for work!  I'm not giving away Ron's merchandise!  If I wouldn't give it away to a customer I'm not going to hand it out to random, whining, strangers.  Whining is for 2 year olds, not a mature adult.  Whining is for dogs and you are not a dog. 

Every week, with Ron's permission, I give away a single can of cold soda to my deliveryman.  If I want to give away anything else I buy or make it myself. 

So, yesterday, she saw me loading it all up and looked at me expectantly.  She could tell I knew she wanted something.  I ignored her.  I did note the dialysis bag.  People on dialysis are not supposed to eat junk food.  I got on board and sat with the merchandise (partly, to protect it from other clients). 

"Where are you taking it?" she asked.  I told her, we're taking it to work.  To sell. 

Her face fell.  "I thought you were taking it to a food bank".  Why would I take over $100 in junk food to a food bank?  When I donate food, I donate things like pasta, beans, chili, and tuna.  I don't "donate" chocolate cupcakes. 

I guess, if I had been "donating", it would have been OK to beg. 

After all, wasn't she entitled?  She was disabled! 

So am I. 

That's the problem these days, every feels entitled to take things that belong to other people.  Because I'm white and working, I should be handing out Ron's merchandise to everyone who asks.  Because I don't appear to be disabled, it's OK to pester, whine, beg, and get an attitude when you realize no means no. 

That's the problem at work, someone felt entitled to help themselves to money Ron had saved for three months instead of doing the honest thing.  I'm sure they have a very good justification; but they robbed a blind man in a wheelchair of a month's profit. 

Way to go. 

No comments: