Friday, October 4, 2013

Bible Handout update

I forgot, Bible Handout update posts "always" crash on Facebook.  I don't know if it's the old computer, a software issue, or what, but it's very annoying.  If I type more than one sentence it starts moving very slowly and then crashing on me. 

OK, onto the Handout. 

Our pickup ride was nearly an hour late, leaving me 45 minutes of working time.  I was a little frustrated until I saw the HUGE dead rat in the median, right where I walk. 

Oh, it was huge, and had an awful odor.  It had bugs so I couldn't touch it even if I'd wanted to.  God, however, had provided a nice, sturdy, stick.  I didn't want to flick it in the road because someone would run over it and get the stench on their car.  I flicked it under a bush.  However, everytime I walked by the bush I kept thinking I saw it move.  Too many zombie movies, Heather. 

It didn't bother me as much as you'd think, because Bubba Cat used to bring me all kinds of huge dead rats.  He must have brought me at least 3 dozen.  He was always so proud, and they were always so big!  Many times I'm the one who had to handle disposal.  I've had some experience. 

I never thought God could use dead rat disposal as preparation for evangelism; but there you have it. 

So, we're on the median.  I am wearing my capris, orange shirt, and orange safety vest.  I don't even have the sign and a guy starts yelling FREE BIBLES! 

I had to tell him last time, after the handout, I'd run out.  This time I was freshly stocked with about 170 items.  I got him set up and the lady behind him wanted some, and another guy.  I handed out 6 in the first 30 seconds. 

All told, we distributed about 100 items in 45 minutes.  A Spanish cab driver begged me for "Whatever Spanish you got" after I had handed out all (about 10) the Spanish New Testaments.  I had a 25 pack of Spanish Gospels of John, rubber banded.  By now another car was stuck behind him, honking madly, so I shoved the whole pack at him as he thanked me. 

"Heather" Ron told me "He can reach so many people with that."  He just happened to drive by as I was handing out Bibles? 

Another Spanish speaker, a lady with 7 adult kids, saw my sign right as the light changed.  I shouted "Come back!" and she did.  I gave her the remaining Spanish and some English New Testaments (I was out of whole Bibles by then). 

I'm getting a few pedestrians every time.  They walk by, gaping, and I wave them over and smile.  They do a double take and I point at them, the sign, wave a Bible, and beckon them with a big grin.  One lady got 3 whole Bibles out of it. 

Now, if I have a carload with 4 adults, I automatically hand them 4 Bibles.  I will also ask them "Do you need more than __?"  Sometimes they say yes, and I give them however many extra they need. 

A carload of gangbangers pretended to swerve towards us, but to their chagrin they got stuck at the light with me "stalking" them, smiling and waving a Bible, pointing at the "Free" part of my sign.  They kept waving me off and I kept grinning at them.  [giggle] 

A very expensive SUV with an affluent white couple very pointedly ignored me.  I felt sorry for them.  "They already have a God" I told Ron "And it's in their wallet." 

I had some fun people.  One guy pulled up and said, "I have a Bible".  I asked him if he had a car Bible.  He said no.  I told him "That's a sin!  We gotta fix that!" and I handed him 2.  (He had a friend with him). 

Another guy honked at me from way back in the line, and I ran over.  He had a woman with him, and said he only wanted one Bible.  "But what about her?  She needs one too!"  He laughed as she reached out for one, herself. 

I had a woman with a couple of older teens in the car.  She glared at me and yelled "We have Bibles!"  It has been my experience that sometimes Satan will twist what I do, and people hear "I think you are a filthy, sinning, pagan, too stupid to get your own Bible" and they react accordingly. 

"That's great!" I yelled back (it was loud).  "Can you pray for everyone who gets a Bible today?"  She gaped at me.  "What?"  I repeated myself.  She was shocked, but said yes.  That was not what she expected to hear. 

Ron thinks she might have been in a cult. 

I had a couple of gang bangers, and the guy covered in tattoos.  They were all happy to get Bibles. 

I feel so sorry for the "wealthy" couple in their SUV, though. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why feel sorry for the people in the SUV? More than likely those gang bangers will be back to their lifestyle no sooner than you can say jimney cricket.

The bible does not save people God does. There are plenty of people who read and know the bible and still do bad and evil things. The bible can be a great resource but often it is twisted and interpreted based on a persons own personal lifestyle and moral code.

Funny how you feel almost bitter toward the wealthy couple but no mention of any poor people who turned down your offer for a bible. Seems a bit biased in my opinion. How do you know money is their God just because they were well dressed and had a nice car and did not look or acknowledge you.

Heather Knits said...

When a poor person refuses a Bible they are not rude about it. They give me a sad little smile and a gentle wave. They shake their heads. They tell me they have a Bible. When they scowl at me they do it honestly, to my face. They don't scowl at my back, and then pointedly ignore me when they see I caught them. I don't feel anything but pity. They truly seemed *profoundly* unhappy. I will be praying for them like I pray for everyone else.

I encounter a fair amount of rude, scary, and outright strange people when I do my handouts. I just happened to mention these people were rude on this handout. I endeavor to focus on the positive aspects of each handout while painting a realistic picture.

Did anyone think the ghetto was throwing roses at my feet? Hardly!

I firmly believe God speaks to everyone, where they are, through His word. I have read too many accounts of people getting saved simply by reading the Bible. I was. Ron was. Terrorists are. So, I hand them out, hoping people will find the comfort and peace I have found in Jesus. That's what I want to do.

If someone isn't ready yet, that's fine. I will continue to pray for them until they are. One day they will meet someone who will lead them to Jesus.

When someone rejects a Bible, I do not see it as a personal rejection. I feel sorry for them, like they just rejected a winning lotto ticket. It is profoundly sad to me. I don't feel anger, envy, or bitterness. I don't care how much money you have in the bank, where you live, what you drive, or any of that. If you don't have Jesus I don't want your life.