Sunday, October 20, 2013

What a weekend

We had the blind vendor conference this weekend.  I didn't mention it because, well, my name is out there and I thought it would be pretty dumb to say "We'll be gone all day tomorrow!". 

Friday after work, we went home and took a nap.  Then we went to the meet and greet.  The director saw us - I knew he'd be looking for each vending couple.  Nearly every vendor is married. 

It was a little odd, Ron was not the only blind man in a wheelchair.  I saw 2 others, and a couple of walkers also.  Ron was the only totally blind person in a wheelchair, though. 

Friday we came home, got a few hours sleep, got up, and went in for our "training".  I can honestly say the vending repairman lecture was the most interesting, I did learn a few things (mainly validating what I already do).  The rest was just politics and such. 

Saturday they were scheduled to have a big dinner, which I heard was not that impressive.  Ron was pretty beat so we found our supervisor and asked if we could skip dinner and the party.  He said he didn't care, but we'd have to ask the director, who was sitting nearby, in a conversation. 

Ron and I said nevermind.  Our supervisor suggested we ask him anyway, and said, no, that's OK.  We didn't want to go home early and get a nasty letter from Austin saying This is the end! 

The director (now listening to us) said he wouldn't do that, and kidded he was trying to get rid of Ron anyway.  "It'll smell so much better, too!" I laughed, and we had a good moment.  The director said it was fine to go home, as long as we came back in the morning (we did and he saw us). 

So, we left!  Yay!  I got 8 hours of sleep! 

I needed it, with this cold.  The 12 hour guiafenesen is working pretty well, some benadryl now and then.  I felt bad coming to the conference sick, even though it would have been the end of our business if I hadn't. 

However, half the other attendees appeared to have the same cold.  I felt a lot better.  I have no appetite and I'm tired but it's over. 

After the conference ended, we went to Sam's to get more pastry.  This is copied from my Facebook:  Today I hugged a policeman.

Ron and I were at Sam's Club. A toddler had fallen out of a shopping cart, onto her head, and was wailing as various store personel milled about. A policeman, on duty as the security guard, walked by and did a double-take at Ron.

He walked right up to Ron and got into his face, gaping in astonishment. I introduced us. He said "I know him!" I mentioned the accident and the officer kept saying YES YES. I WAS THERE! ...

Officer H (not the bad one I have mentioned previously) was also dispatched to Ron's accident and witnessed the paremedics working on Ron as he lay DEAD IN THE ROAD. He saw the totalled pickup, all the damage to Ron, and heard all the predictions Ron would never make it. I could tell the accident had haunted officer H for a very long time.

"I've been to a lot of accidents" he said "And this was one of the worst". He gaped at Ron again, as he ate a hot dog. It was one of those "Glory To God" moments I seem to experience now and then.

"I never expected to see him alive one day" he murmured. That's when I asked if I could give him a hug, and he said yes.

Oh, and I gave him a Bible.


What a weekend. 

No comments: