Thursday, October 10, 2013

I have brain damage

Oh, thank you M! 

However, I like to keep it cheap when I "represent".  It keeps me from getting mugged when I work in the ghetto.  [laugh] 

I'm pretty happy; I'm totally ready for winter.  I got out my afghans, fleece blankets, Ron's feather comforter (he adores it, I got it for our 15th anniversary), sweats, hooded sweatshirts (that's all I seem to need now in the winter), etc. 

I have some wool blend socks running around in my dresser.  I can chase them down when it gets really cold.   I am not ashamed to bring my fake snuggie when it gets really cold.  I put it on when I'm waiting outside on paratransit or the regular bus. 

I've washed everything but the snuggies, my knit afghan, and the crochet afghan.  I made both afghans (I'm taking a small bow). I made Ron one, too.  His is solid garter stitch and 5 feet square.  Mine is also 5 feet square, garter stitch, made of brightly colored scraps framed in black.  I like it a lot.  Most of the time, I am utterly sick of the colorway, pattern, and afghan by the time I finish.  Most have been given away. 

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I made dozens of granny square afghans after Ron's accident, handing them out to everyone from surgeons to the lady who brought his meal trays.  I was pretty manic; it was a good release for my tension. 

I don't have the concentration; and I have a very active and mischievous kitten.  I wouldn't be able to do my needlework even if I could.  [chuckle]  I'm OK with that - Baby Girl is pretty special. 

I have no doubts Torbie would be right in on the action, claws flashing and biting away. She may be an "old lady" but she's spunky. 

Bubba's the only one who ever left my "knitting" alone.  I miss him. 

So, no new projects.  I still have a pretty good yarn stash (about a 33 gallon garbage bag) in the garage if inspiration strikes. 

I've read a lot of books on preparing oneself for disaster, and I've taken what I think are reasonable measures (extra cat food, 3 month refills).  I was pretty much stuck at home for days on end with no electricity. 

I was pretty bored.  I finished Ron's afghan, sat around, and desperately wished for something to read.  After things got back to normal, I got some puzzle books and such.  I have also tried to get things I can read to Ron or do with Ron (like dominoes). 

It's a small thing but believe me it makes a big difference after a disaster (happily no disaster since 2008).  The way things are going I could see people asked to stay home for a week or so until things settled down. 

If so, we'd be OK.  Well, I need to pay the water bill.  I am terrible about that.  Ron pays everything over the phone or through autopay (the mortgage) but the water bill is "mine". 

I guess I just prove I have brain damage sometimes. 



No comments: