Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sometimes I forget

Ron's primary love language is acts of service: paying the bills, taking me places.  I told him I'd like to go to an Asian Grocery store.  The place is huge. 

However, a couple of issues about getting there:  1.  It requires two bus rides.  2.  I'd have to cross a very busy street (more on that in my next entry - needless to say I get anxious).  3.  It is very close to the "ghetto" apartments where the gangbanger pulled a gun on me, pointing it in my face while the paratransit driver asked for directions.  Gun Play blog   After pointing it at me for the longest 45 seconds of my life (and it was a REAL gun - the toy guns have an orange circle around the muzzle - this one did NOT), he began gesturing with the gun, pointing the way to the requested building.  The place has a lot of gangbangers and drug dealing, per the online apartment reviews - so it's not just my perception. 

I feel safer in Acres Homes, considered one of the worst in Houston, than I do at that complex. 

Having said all that, Ron was delighted to arrange a ride.  He asked me to bring the folding chair and waited off to the side.  The layout of the store reminded me of my childhood grocery store. 

I grabbed my cart and found the tea aisle.  I wanted some Pu-erh tea, maybe some Tuo-cha.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu-erh_tea

I had read, years ago, that it might help with nausea, which as you know is a definite tagalong in my life.  It seems to help me.  I like the taste and smell, too. 

Some remedies are so ghastly I would rather be ill.  This is nice.  I like it.  However, it's hard to find outside of a large Asian market. 

I had hoped to find it.  I did.  Tea bags AND loose.  I also got some lavender green tea - that should be nice to try when I'm manic, to calm me down.   I got a small tea ball for the loose tea - I have a large one at home, but sometimes I just want a cup. 

Lastly, I checked out the vegetables.  I had seen a lot of people, clearly local growers, unloading vegetables from their cars.  I was curious to see the selection. 

I'd seen long beans (which have a flavor I don't like), okra, and beautiful eggplants.  I'm not a fan of them, but they do grow well in Houston. 

I squealed with joy when I found tricolored amaranth greens, labeled Rau Den.  Yay!  I was prepared to go crosstown all the way to the Farmer's Market.  Now I can stay home, and I got a very nice bunch for $1.39.  Amaranth info

How do you cook it, I was asked.  Well, I can steam it in the microwave, stir fry (personal favorite), or even raw, even though it's a little gritty and bitter. 

I also got some nice looking snow peas and headed to checkout.  I want to eat more vegetables, fresh (which means local, if possible) and delicious.  If I force myself to eat things like squash I'll burn out and go off the wagon in a spectacular way.  If I eat things I like, I'll keep eating them. 

I just have to figure out interesting ways to prepare them, if needed. 

When we got home I ate the last of the chicken.  It was good.  I should be good for a while now on chicken.  I am only a fan at certain times. 

I am taking my meds later, so I just took a nap, which, surprisingly, I needed.

Sometimes I forget I am very sick. 

No comments: