Wednesday, August 14, 2013

If I can get online...might make you hungry

I'm feeling a little foggy today due to a nasty headache.  I guess I figure, if I can get online, it's not a migraine. 

I finally got my appetite back.  When I'm sick, my appetite is always the first to flee the scene, and the last to return.  My adoptive Mom could tell you all kinds of stories of me, sick in bed for days on end, refusing all food, and just when she thought I had to go to the hospital, I'd make a sudden recovery and eat everything. 

Interestingly enough, when I am really sick (I had 2 bad sinus infections in a 3 month period), my mood stabilizes.  I don't go up or down until I'm better - a nice little gift from God. 

When I was a kid, I had some favorite foods.  I adored macaroni and cheese, and could have eaten it every night.  I liked Spam (not so much, these days), peanut butter and honey sandwiches (still do, especially on the bread with the nuts and seeds in it), grilled cheese, ham, tomato soup, and fried bologna sandwiches. 

What do I like these days?  Well, I love a lot of dairy: a vanilla whey protien shake with whole milk and a couple of ice cubes in the blender, Cabot Extra Sharp cheddar cheese (adore it and always have some on hand), large curd cottage cheese, and when I'm off plan, ice cream. 

I really do need to eat. 

I also love Chappel Hill link sausage, cut up and fried in the skillet until it's nice and crunchy.  Ham (still), dark meat turkey, and turkey spam.  I love pretty much any kind of beef, but one favorites is ground beef fried up with some taco seasonings, with tomato sauce and shredded cheddar.  If you took me out to dinner, I would love a steak, would secretly covet the largest one, but would get a medium sized one instead.   I like my homemade tuna salad, in a bowl. It's just dill relish, lemon pepper, mayo, and tuna. 

For vegetables, I like canned green beans, not fresh.  I adore veggie soup and could probably eat it every day.  However, the commercial kinds tend to have added sugar.  I'll eat frozen collard greens with a little olive oil and lemon pepper on top, steamed in the microwave.  I like a salad with bitter greens, but usually get the bland kind because Ron hates them. I like a good italian or ranch, with a light touch, some bacon and maybe grated cheese on top. 

[I have found out, to my sorrow, I cannot add cooked chicken to the above creation and then take my lithium.  I get violently sick.] 

I have to be in the right mood for eggs, but will almost always eat them if I'm eating out around breakfast time.  I prefer them fried hard in butter, or hard-boiled.  I was sick for weeks with salmonella in 2004 and I'm careful.   I nearly always eat a sausage patty for breakfast.  I microwave it and eat it when it cools off.  I like it a little crunchy around the edges. 

For snack foods, I love jerky sticks and sausage sticks in the individual sized plastic wrapper.  They're hard to find, though.  I'll also eat the rare can of plain vienna sausage if I'm hungry enough. 

Since I'm low carb, let's talk about my favorite fats.  I love coconut oil and butter; olive oil for veggies and maybe salad, and a little lard sometimes for cooking in my iron skillet.   I have to think bacon counts more as a dietary fat, than an actual food.  Real, thick cut, pepper bacon.  Wrights is a good brand. 

That's it for today.  Sorry I wasn't more profound. 

No comments: