Saturday, August 24, 2013

A week in the life...

I have to laugh at myself.  Finding myself offline, I decided to blog everyday, then do a cut and paste when I got back online. 


My internet's down, but that won't stop me writing.

Ron's a fixer. When I present a problem, he likes to fix it. So, he's "fixed" mine by arranging for a new modem installation Monday - 6 days away.

Blogging/journaling is good for me. It helps clear my head; so I plan to keep it up. I plan to do daily entries into this document, then cut and paste to "Heather Knits" when I'm back online again.

8/20

We've been really busy with work the last couple days. It seems like we're buying more merchandise and stocking it daily. That's great - that means more money. Things have been very tight lately. When I offered to take a paycut last month, Ron seriously considered it for a split second before refusing.

Last year, I did take a paycut. I'm not playing martyr, it's just more practical to put the money into inventory. Paying me doesn't render a direct profit, stocking the machines will.

I can finally say, now, the machines look good. I wouldn't be embarassed if our supervisor came by to do an inspection (they do, on a regular basis). We have worked pretty much every day for a week straight - NOT complaining.

Like I said, more sales equal more profit, and Ron was happy to pay someone to do the installation for us (the last modem install was a hideous nightmare that literally drove me to tears). I like to stay busy, I love my job.

I was really happy today, the plant manager came by and bought "my" new crackers. I felt very validated. I made it a point to thank him sincerely for his business. No one HAS to put money into our machines; I know that. I appreciate every penny. We're living on it, after all.

So, a lot of time at work today, but when we left the machines were nearly perfect (I need to get more saltines).

After work, we came home. Baby Girl came out to say hello and I picked her up, putting my hand under her butt. I kissed her head and talked to her for a moment, then I put her down.

I was pretty horrified to see the glistening white roundworm on the hand I'd put under her butt. My baby was wormy. I about boiled my hands, washing them.

Then I hunted down the worm paste. I try to keep remedies in the house, for human and feline. Systemic flea drops. Ear mite drops. Worm paste; because cats have just as many health problems as the humans.

Ron being blind, I'm the bad guy when it comes to dosing. I had enough paste for both cats, and figured, since they share a food and water bowl, I'd better dose them both. They weren't happy.

Then I washed (boiled) my hands again and took a nap. Torbie *usually* sleeps with me, but not today. I went to sleep alone.

We had a small thunderstorm while I slept. I'm glad it rained when it did.

When I woke up, I had both cats in my room and Torbie in my bed. They must have figured out I'd dosed them to make them feel better. I can only imagine how it must feel to have a parasite infection. Poor babies. Nothing's going to suck their blood on MY watch.

Of course, since I used up my stuff I need to buy more, when I get their systemic flea drops (I dose them on the third). I don't drive - I can't just pop out to the pet store. I like to have a pantry.

I got up, dressed, and went with Ron to the chicken place. $1 special. He loves them. He is losing weight at a slow and steady rate. "I'm down two holes on my belt" he told me, proudly. He looks good, too.

The rides were messed up, and Ron basically got a "turnaround" trip - basically a lot like you would do in a car. I told Ron to go home by himself (which he can) and I'd go out and have a little day out. This week, and most of next, looks to be eaten up by errands and duty. Not much time for fun.

So, Ron went home. I went to the Asian grocery store. I kept seeing all these detox teas and slimming diet teas. I thought they might be fun to try, but reminded myself of the "bad trip" I had on the Coenzyme Q10 last weekend. I got an organic green tea, some oolong... and spices.

I find vegetables boring. When I went to McDonald's today (after the chicken place, before the market), I found the salad a chore. It wasn't bad. The Cesar dressing is OK. I just don't like vegetables.

I figured some spices might make them more interesting. So I got some black bean garlic paste (it's fermented, very strong tasting, very good, and low carb), some garlic-chili paste, curry, stuff like that. I spent about $20 total for the teas and the spices.

It was pretty late by then, so I came home. Since I was traveling during "peak hours" I had an easy ride home.

8/21

A very long day. I woke up exhausted, hit the snooze button a couple times, got up. I lost another half a pound. Ron wanted to talk a while, so we did. I got my shower, ate, not enough time for my God Time. I felt a little bad about that, but I know God wants me to have a decent marriage, too.

I am so freaking tired. We have been running around getting things for work, stocking for work, running personal errands, even with naps I'm wiped out.

Our ride came and we went to the bank. Apparently the debit card is expired, but they could still use it to make the deposit. Then we had to go get the new debit card, which took a while. Ron had been upset paratransit had left him “so long” at the bank, but as it worked out we had “enough” time to get everything done.

We went home, and got the Direct TV receivers. The company sent us a box. I have to mail them back, regular mail. Shipping is already paid. However, for practical reasons (I don't have time to sit around all day waiting for carrier pickup) I had to take it to the Post Office. If I have to do that, I'm going to take it to the window, and get a reciept proving I mailed it. That's just smart, especially when the company says it'll be $90 if they don't get it.

So, we did our usual thing, Ron waited at a fast food restaurant. One that does not have good food choices for the low carber. A few days ago, I bought a lot of deli meat. I ate the last of it with some hard, extra sharp cheddar today. Then I went to the restaurant.

Ron got a small item, and a drink. I got a drink, and left. I stepped in a hole but God didn't allow me to get hurt. I could have easily broken my ankle.

I got my receipt (the clerk said I was smart to do it this way), and headed back. We had a good ride over to our secondary location.

The machine was almost empty, so we have to stock it tomorrow after I see my doctor. Just seeing Doc usually wipes me out – so this will be interesting.

I headed over to the nearby dollar store, to get some “crack nuts” for Ron. He loves the Lance Hot and Spicy peanuts. At this store, he can buy 5, .8 oz packets of nuts, for a dollar. It's a good deal and excellent portion control.

I wanted to get some portion control treats for Doc and his girls. He has about 5 “office gals” and a few associates. I got him some small Hershey bars, and the girls some of the devil's food cream pies. It should be enough for everyone in the office.

I also got a small, clear glass coffee mug. It's ironic. I have an extensive coffee cup collection, most of it boxed up in the garage. I have about 2/3 of the states, several countries, and even a White House official mug. However, my favorite, daily use mugs have always been the plainest ones imaginable.

I have a large, clear mug that holds 3 cups of tea. I love it.

I wanted a “little buddy” to keep it company when I really only do want a single serving.

I started getting really hungry, and those treats in my cart were not helping my appetite (later, reviewing my food journal – kept in a spiral notebook, I realized I had every right to get hungry). Happily, I was near a Mc Donald's.

I ran over there and got a couple of plain double hamburgers – the ones that cost a dollar. I called Ron, he said he could go for a salad and a burger, himself.

As I left, headed back to our pickup location, thinking that while I may be too depressed most days to cook or prepare a lot of food for Ron, I can certainly buy him a healthy, ready-made item.

I got back to the location, eating my bunless burger as I walked in. After about 10 minutes, I realized I was still hungry, so I ate the other one. I'm trying to be more aware of my hunger, eating until full and then stopping. I had a bad habit of mindless eating until it was all gone.

Finally, our ride. But wait, he's over by the dollar store. I waved and waved, he ignored me. To make matters worse, he even got out of the paratransit vehicle and smoked!

I was so mad – until our ride showed up. Ooops.

We came home and I went straight to bed, but Ron had a couple of phone calls regarding the cable internet installation, coming Friday, now. It's great I get it sooner, not so great Friday will be a run around day too.

Finally, I got my nap. I woke up around 5.
 
I made myself some decaf tea in my new mug, and my old one. I'm at my computer, blogging inspite of the internet.

I'm just praying for some healthy downtime.

Have you noticed, a lot of times you only get the downtime when you're sick or hurt? I am begging God to keep that from happening.

Tomorrow, we leave to see Doc at 9. After Doc, we meet my aunt for a fast food lunch. Then we go to the store and buy sodas for the secondary location, then take it to the location and stock them.

Friday we get up very early, go to work, come home, do the install, and then please God it is quiet on Saturday.

8/22

Not the highlight of my day: riding metrolift, very queasy, sitting in the far back of the van, on the verge of vomiting, for about an hour. Ugh.

I think it started with the headache, and breakfast: I woke up early with a vicious headache. It would have been a migraine, but for the excedrin, which I took on an empty stomach.

Then I had some whey protein because I had no appetite for breakfast. I take what I feel is the logical approach, if I'm not hungry, don't eat. I did need to take 2 medications that cause nausea, so I thought the whey would work. Next time, I'll eat some whole fat greek yogurt or cottage cheese.

The headache persisted for hours, in spite of a repeated dose of excedrin.

Ron apologized for being difficult yesterday. I was gracious.

Our ride came, late, and we were almost late to my appointment. At one point we had to wend our way, back and forth, through a subdivision, to find a client. I kid you not, it must have taken 10 minutes each just to get in and out.

We got there and we got out.

Last night, I made a conclusion. Doc's office is in an office building. The office building has a 3 story escalator in the lobby. I hate escalators, and heights - so it is about the worst thing possible for me. I'd rather go through a pit of rattlers than ride that thing.

However, they have an elevator. I chose to take that instead. It went very well, except for the fire alarm. They kept having problems with the alarm going off.

Let me tell you, it is a loud alarm, and very annoying. I felt bad for the other patients in Doc's office - the last thing you need when you're already "ill" is a loud fire alarm screaming in your ear.

I paid up and went in on time. Doc likes to have the med students work visit with me. I think it is very important to educate the doctors of tomorrow; to educate them about mental illness and show them happy outcomes.

I told him a little about my illness, shared the "bad trip" last weekend, and discussed some of my symptoms and side effects. About that time Doc came in.

I bought him some candy, which he liked. Since Doc lost about 90 pounds, years ago, I am very careful to bring him modest portions and small serving sizes. I don't want to contribute to a backslide and regain. He was happy to see it.

The intern asked about side effects, and I explained I was OK with my side effects because I have a very serious, mortal, illness. I am well aware it will kill me if I don't manage. He understood and we sent things off to the pharmacy.

Then I left, after making my next appointment.

We met my aunt for lunch. I still didn't have much of an appetite, but I needed to eat so I could take my lithium.

Very little gets in the way of taking my lithium.

We went to McDonald's. Ron got a side salad and the fried chicken sandwich. He ate half the bun. I thought it was funny, he was clearly trying to "sneak". I don't mind him eating a few carbs now and then as long as he is good overall.

I ate two bunless value burgers and took my pills. I drank a lot of diet soda, as is my custom, and we went back to the office to wait for my pickup.

I was OK until we got on the van. I think the bouncing in the very back seats, combined with the meager breakfast and large quantity of stomach-irritating pills (10 total), combined to create a nauseous revolt.

I had a gallon zip lock back in my backpack. If the worst had happened, it would have gone in the back and been zipped up with no "Cleanup on aisle 12".

Actually, the paratransit company calls it a "Code 2" (the client got sick in the vehicle). Happily we did not have one by whatever name you choose. I was praying, let me tell you.

The driver was incredibly kind when I explained my dilemma. I had Ron call in a compliment on her the second we got home. A lot of people would have been angry or frustrated at a queasy client, but she was very kind and professional.

I got home and curled up in bed. Ron brought me another pillow for my bed. I fell asleep for a couple hours and woke up not really queasy, but certainly not hungry either. I've been drinking sugarfree fruit punch (for hydration) but that's all.

When my body is ready for food, I'll get hungry and want to eat everything, even those collards in the freezer. 
 
Friday:
My first driver was an enormously pregnant woman who is overdue.  I worried she might to into labor while driving. 
 
We went to work very early, came home, did the internet install (clearly), and then went to Walmart.  We got some supplies at work, for the secondary location.  I got a few groceries (a frozen veggie stir fry mix), which I put in my cold bag. 
 
We went to the secondary location, stocked, and went to a Dollar Store to get some supplies.  Then we came home.  I watched TV for a little while but went to bed very early. 
 
I woke up at 6 today, I had a headache from sleeping so long but it was worth the rest.   




No comments: