Monday, August 5, 2013

Food safety hell

I'm more mixed/depressed today.  The purchases I considered with such glee, yesterday, are all dull and tarnished (no I didn't buy them, but even the thought is depressing). 

We got up early, I didn't do my God time, we went to work.  Ron had been worried about Baby Girl, said she was a little sluggish yesterday, but she was bugging him for treats last night and acting like her usual sweet self. 

I had another good sleep with Torbie, although she likes to sleep in the middle of the bed, making it hard to roll over.  She's got a petite frame with a lot of muscle and fat.   She makes a big lump. 

We got to work, things are selling pretty well, except for the soda machine with the burned out bulb.  Since we got the machine from Dr Pepper, they have the bulbs.  They'll send out their guy to replace it (and probably audit our product selection to ensure we are selling primarily Dr Pepper products as per our contract).  I made a mental inventory list. 

For instance, the hot chip selection is the first to sell out.  They love them.  So, I'll be getting more.  I need pastries, too. 

I hadn't told Ron get because he can get rather grumpy about buying inventory.  However, a customer shouted at him over the lack of honeybuns, so he is motivated now. 

We had a lot to do, including my sandwich delivery.  I was so thrilled to see Mark was back!  He is my favorite deliveryman.  He is very quiet but extremely nice.  I like him a lot.  He had been out sick for months. 

He was right on time, too.  I got the sandwiches and stocked everything.  Ron "lost" a case of soda, but eventually found it.  A pretty typical day at work. 

We went to Greenspoint mall for lunch.  It isn't far from work, and they have some good food places in the foodcourt. 

Ron has his food handler's permit.  I helped him study, so I know all the rules.  Imagine our horror when we discovered the bathrooms were closed due to a water main break!   "Main" water break, per the sign! 

My stomach lurched as I looked at about half the restaurants, happily preparing for the lunch rush, with no water.  One of them was a place Ron liked, and I had eaten a few times.  The other two places were not of interest, but UGH. 

Since you may have just eaten, or about to eat, I will not spell it out for you.  Why is this is bad?  I will put up a link if you are wondering "Why is it a big deal if a restaurant doesn't have running water?"    Here you go:  Why you need running water

I thought, in desperation, maybe it was just the bathrooms.  I went to a water fountain a ways from the bathroom.  Dry as a bone. 

It was a very hot day today.  Blazing sun.  Humid.  High heat index.  But I pushed Ron at least half a mile to the Taco Bell (the one with running water) to get away from that food safety nightmare. 

I will share this: with the water down, the Wendy's and the Subway remained closed.  Hats off to them.  I was hoping to eat at Wendy's, now I feel safe doing so next time. 

If you don't know, I almost died of food poisoning at a chain restaurant, back in 2004.  I was very sick, so sick Ron had to take care of me. 

I made sure the Taco Bell had running water before we ordered.  I got a chicken soft taco and ate the insides.  I also got a taco salad and ate the non-carby things.  I still feel pretty full, surprisingly. 

After we finished, I pushed him back to the mall.  We had to catch our ride from that address.  We had a good ride home, but the driver was feeling a little traumatized. 

Her last client had been way too TMI about her past, present, and future sex life.  I think she's going to need therapy. 

After all that "pushing" while carrying my backpack in the heat, I was pretty tired (I had already taken my meds) so I took a nap.  Both cats slept with me at different times, which was delightful. 

I love to sleep with a cat.  I also noted I only needed about an hour as opposed to my usual 2-3. 

No comments: