Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Pop ups

Most of the time, I can tell if something's going to be a problem. 

For instance, when I got mugged at the bus stop I had a pretty good idea bus stops might be a little raw in the future.  It was the same when the house was robbed, "coming home" didn't quite mean the same thing. 

But who would have guessed I'd have trouble with the song "Hiding Place"?  I sang it in the car on the way to the hospital.  Everytime I hear it I start sobbing.  http://youtu.be/ElVC6rfX3Z8

I was "into" aromatherapy about the time of Ron's accident.  I made a lavender/aloe burn gel for our employees (put a couple drops lavender essential oil into about 8-12 ounces gel).  They loved it and asked for personal use bottles.  I was happy to make it. 

I also provided "the girls" with a bottle of lemon essential oil - they loved it.  They found it invigorating and calming, taking "sniff breaks" in the hall instead of smoking. 

I liked my rosemary peppermint oil, and the peppermint oil.  I found them invigorating and mind-clearing, two things I desperately needed.  I was working 80 hour weeks and took all the help I could get. 

As Ron lingered in his coma, I got desperate, and got permission.  Permission for what?  Aromatherapy.  I moistened a hankie with a few drops of rosemary-peppermint oil, and laid it near Ron's head. 

It really made the room fresh, but some of the nurses hated it and complained bitterly.  When one "accidentally sent it off with the dirty linens" I got the message, and started using the peppermint oil. 

Everyone loved it, it stayed, and Ron seemed to respond a little better.  I was delighted, and kept using it, little realizing I would forever associate the scent of peppermint oil with hopelessness, anxiety, and despair.  I can't even drink mint tea. 

Ron had no idea I had done it, and the staff didn't mind.  I'm sure the fragrances made a nice change from the usual odors. 

I wonder if anyone else ever tried aromatherapy for "their" coma patient. 

I hope no one ever uses it on me. 

No comments: