Monday, July 15, 2013

Do I stay or do I go?

I never see myself as a teacher but I thought I would share my thoughts on the subject. 

What does a Christian woman do when he husband tells her not to do evangelism?  I've had that problem for over 3 years now. 

In fact, on my first Bible Handout I just went out while he was sleeping, did it, and then came back and told him.  He made it pretty clear he'd "forbid" it if he could. 

Years ago, Christian culture had the whole "submissive wife" culture.  The woman was to defer to her husband in all things, never criticize him, and obey him at all times.  They'd be horrified to find out I have consistently "disobeyed" and "flaunted" my husband with my continued distribution. 

Why do I think I'm doing the right thing?  Shouldn't I defer to my husband? 

Well, the answer is complex.  My husband is the spritual head of household, but we are at very different levels of spiritual development.  He's progressing but he himself says I have a stronger faith. 

That isn't why I do it.  After all Ephesians chapter 5 has some pretty pointed advice: 

"22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." [NKJV]

I can't think of a polite way to phrase it: Ron has a drinking problem.  It was very serious for a very long time, especially during my periods of evangelism.  [God has done amazing things, lately.]  I believe the devil attacks me, and often he did so through my husband.  Ron would have blackouts, keeping me up all night, and verbally abusing me. 

I prayed about it, desperately wanting to leave (who wouldn't?).  God made it clear He wanted me to stay, so I did.  You can read all this in the archives.  My unreached readers acted as if I'd gone off my meds, completely infuriated.  Some of the responses to my posts were worse than the blackouts! 

During this period, God made it clear I was to treat Ron as "The Unbelieving Husband" in 1 Corinthians Chapter 7: "10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. 11 But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife....39 A wife is bound by law as long as her husband lives; but if her husband dies, she is at liberty to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord."  Ron wanted me to remain his wife.  He told me he loved me, and I could tell he meant it. 

So, if he didn't want me to do the handout what do I do?   My pastor put it best: "Obey your leaders, unless they are telling you to contradict the Bible.  Then you have to do what the Bible says." 

Well, the Bible is really clear in speaking: 
Matthew Chapter 28:
"18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen." 

Jesus says "Go", so I do.  Ron will be fine. 

2 comments:

Heather Knits said...

Well, if I felt it were a sincere concern or guidance from God - Ron actually first suggested I go to the ghetto - I might be more inclined to listen.

However, when he tells me no it was generally because he was very drunk and angry at God, or lately, he is sober and feels God doesn't "deserve" my efforts. When I am called to go, neither seems like an appropriate reason to stay. Ron's issues with God are his.

My service to God is mine. :)

Melanie said...

Knowing that part-that he only wants you stop because he's drunk, angry, or has decided that God doesn't "deserve" your efforts-especially after he suggested the idea in the first place-makes a difference, that changes what I think of it.

Don't answer this if you don't want to (of course:))-do you ever have any thoughts as to Ron's salavation, because he seems so often angry at God?