Sunday, July 14, 2013

Another Ghetto Handout and a $5 Pizza

I stood next to the older black man, sharing my testimony as he held a new Bible, both of us listening to someone shouting into a megaphone.  It didn't sound loving. 

"Don't go to the ghetto" they said "They'll be riots.  You'll get raped, beaten, and killed."  Well, they were wrong.  I think the man was actually a little embarassed by the shouter. 

I wasn't worried, though.  He was in a storefront, off the streets, with only a few cars parked out front.  A few, nice cars.  Ironic, considering the neighborhood.  When distributing, I always have at least one recipient with a duct-taped car window because the automatic motor died and the glass is sagging. 

That was as bad as it got.  We got up, had a late pickup for church, but got there just in time. 

A lady at church may be able to provide a ride for us, which would be great.  I never turn down rides. 

Speaking of, since Ron opted out - convinced it would be dangerous - I had to take the bus.  That limited my options. 

I have 3 cases of whole Bibles, 20 each.  They weigh about 20 pounds a case.  I can't carry that. 

I opted, instead, for 30 New Testaments in a tote bag with a smaller (and more easily put away) Free Bibles sign.  It worked fine.  I brought my orange vest of course. 

I had a long wait for the first but but good rides for the rest of the day.  I got off and went right to work. 

I expected a lot of hostility, maybe some younger men roaming around, but found nothing like that.  Oddly, I didn't see a single police car.  Normally I see a couple, at least. 

I got out there and did my thing, discovering it was pretty much like any Bible Handout.  Most ignored me; some glared at me, some gaped, some wanted a Bible. 

Most of the recpients seemed to find me "cute" for coming to their neighborhood in those times.  One woman let off a man, yelling "Get me a Bible" as he crossed the street.  He asked me what she said, and I repeated it, giving him 2, "One for you too". 

I had a lot of "singles" and twosies.  It seemed to move pretty slow but I was moving about one a minute.  I had a family or two, and one set of grandparents who wanted one each and a few for the grandkids.  Most of the young men with windows down accepted a Bible, but one waved me off with alarm.  It reminded me of Hebrews "The Word of God is living and active, sharper than a two-edged sword". 

A guy walked by, dressed for work, did a double take and stood in the street, asking for a Bible.  I gave him one.  He went over to the bus stop.  I saw a nice car pull up, an older white guy driving.  He didn't even see the sign, riveted to his passenger.  The car next to them, by the sidewalk, wanted a Bible so I got them. 

"Now, be careful, honey" the man warned me, his dark skin shining in the sun.  "Don't you get hit, now."  I scampered up on the curb as the cars roared past. 

"Why are you doing this?" the man asked, still waiting on the bus.  I shared my testimony, how after Ron's accident I had the comfort of knowing God, but the other families in the ICU waiting room didn't.   He was very interested. 

"It's funny" I told him "My black husband was afraid to come today." We could hear the shouting on the megaphone as people walked by, disinterested. 

The light changed and I went back.  I had a carload of young women, just delighted at the novelty of me, handing out Bibles.  Everyone got a Bible. 

Then I had a minivan.  "How many you got?" I asked.  "Five" she replied.  "Including you?"  Yes.  I handed them over as the light changed and off she/they went. 

I was almost done.  I gave my last Bible to a woman with a shaved head and a faceful of piercings.  She was a little startled but took it. 

Time to go. 

I got a snack (I love a salty snack after a Bible Handout) and a cold soda.  I went over to the bus stop and barely had time to eat a few chips.  As I got on, the driver asked "Where's your hat?" 

Huh? 

"Your Free Bibles Hat.  How are people going to know you've got Bibles if you won't wear your hat?"  Good point.  We chatted a little and she told me she wasn't happy with Ron for staying home. 

Ah, well, that's between him and God.  I was fine. 

After that, I ran an errand and bought a Little Cesar's Pizza before I came home.  Boy, that was good. 


No comments: