Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ice Cold Water

I'm upset to the point of tears, and for once Ron isn't involved. 

I slept in until about 7.  Decided to have a nice little Day Out.  Did a pretty good job of it, for a while. 

Depression is barking at the door again.  I need to be vigilant. 

So, I went to the grocery store.  Got a cold canned soda, plus another.  Gave one to a lady at the bus stop.  :)  I want to treat everyone like they're Jesus.  Happy I did. 

Went to the Christian bookstore, asked for more prayer, and gave them an update. 

As I was leaving, I had a lot of trouble with the headphones on my MP3 player.  I carry a very basic, $20, model.  Overall it is good, and not anything a thug would want.  It works for my purposes, and I like the pretty red color. 

I carry it in a "hang around the neck" case.  I also carry my cell phone in a holder I made (works, too), my keys, I have a lot of junk around my neck.  I didn't have any volume on my headphones, AND everything was tangled again. 

I found a bench and sat down, right as my cell phone rang; Mom and Dad ringtone.  I didn't call them last week, because I assumed they were out of town.  They called me, instead.  We talked for about half an hour. 

Then I went to the craft store.  They were clearing out the "Ceramcoat" paint, and selling a 2 ounce bottle for a quarter.  I got some bottles for projects I needed (about 8). 

I went out to the bus stop and roasted like a vegetable, for quite a while.  A nice young man in an SUV offered me a ride.  That was sweet; especially since I was obviously sweaty.  I said no, thanks, the bus should be along any minute. 

That seems to be a gracious refusal, everyone says "OK!" smiles, and drives off.  We all know, don't we, that you NEVER ever get into a car with a stranger. 

So, the bus came.  I got off and went to my transfer point. 

Imagine my joy (after hours in the sun with a heat index of over 100 F)  when I saw the Ice Cold Water guy.   Someone sets them up at all the busy intersections.  They roam the median, selling "ice cold water" to motorists and pedestrians.  And fat ladies, waiting at the bus stop! 

I gave him a quarter tip, too!  Oh, it was so delicious.  I thanked God for him.  He seemed to be doing a fairly brisk business, and I wish him prosperity. 

Yay!  There's the bus, but the Air Conditioner is broken!  It was very stuffy.  I was happy to depart. 

Then the walk home from the bus stop (I often dream of it, but I do not live right next to the bus stop).  Hey, I needed the exercise, and my bag was light because I had consumed all the Diet Dr Pepper and the Ice Cold Water, by then. 

I came home, and found a pink note on the door.  The water meter reader had come by.  We used 47K gallons of water. 

WHAT?  According to the cryptic note, we had a break "On House Line".

I checked the meter.  I could HEAR the water hissing, the ground was very moist, and boy the numbers were spinning! 

"Contact a plumber immediately"   No @#$! 

I lost it for a while.  I was pretty upset.  I kept trying, and failing, to turn the water off.  So there I am, hunched over the hole in the ground, my butt waving in the air, cursing and pleading with God.  Going in the house and getting rather shrill with Ron.  "We have to DO SOMETHING!" 

First: I cried.  Repeatedly. 
Second: I called my aunt. 

I figured, the water had to turn off, so I took my shower and ran the washer.  Then I filled up my water bucket. 

Happily, the contractor neighbor came home.  Thank you Jesus.  I went over there; I'm sure I looked distraught.  He was DELIGHTED to turn off the water.  Good, at least we are not actively losing money. 

Ron's handyman came out.  He is working right now.  I am making sure to keep him supplied with plenty of Ice Cold Water, and Dr Peppers. 

What a day. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you will not be charged for the water usage because of the break in the line.

Life can sometimes throw us some real curve balls.

Heidi said...

Omg Heather ...you have no chance to get depressed! I would have been more than shrill!
Sending many hugs hang in there...