Friday, April 24, 2020

A little bit about long term storage foods

I think the timing is right on this. 

You have heard me talk about long term storage foods and I thought I would explain. 

As I see it there are a couple of different types. 

There is the canned food: your spaghetti rings with meatballs, beef stew, and such.  That would be what I'd consider a pantry item. 

Next you have the "harder core" freeze dried foods.  You only see these in a prepper's pantry, or a backpacker, because they are very light food and easy to carry.  Here is a good example of something Ron likes: 
They are nice and easy to prepare, but expensive.  We only like the ones where you add boiling water to the pouch and then let it sit.  Mountain House is another good brand and has a lot of choices, and you can actually get MH in the camping section at Walmart. 

Some food storage companies sell freeze dried food in buckets, but you have to cook it before you eat it, and it doesn't have a good calorie count.  With survival food, you need "enough" calories, at least 2-3K a day.  Most "survival food" like you see on TV or the radio ads only have about a third of it if you expect it to last as long as they say.  NOT a good deal and not something I suggest even IF you have the money (and I doubt any of you guys are loaded). 

I like the stuff you just add the boiling water and I have been able to get a decent amount (for us) since Walmart put it on clearance, they got rid of an old style (still good for 20 more years) and brought it out in smaller, newer, packaging.  The 2 serving pouches are good for us Ron can eat half and I can finish. 

I bought the red beans in #10 cans (once I tried a pouch on Ron and he loved it) from a survival supply store, I forget who but there are a lot out there.  I suggest buying one pouch and see if you like it before you buy a large can. 

Last is LTS or long term storage food.  It often comes in a 5 gallon bucket which you have seen in my bedroom.  There are a couple ways you can do it. 

The easiest is to go to a place like Rainy Day Foods and say "I like rice, I want a big bucket of rice" they pack it up for you and ship it and you have a giant bucket of rice should things get REALLY bad and you can't get food. 

That's what I'd suggest and I like Rainy Day Foods used them a lot but you will wait MONTHS at this point and time.  But worth considering.  They also have #10 cans of things like rice, pasta, etc. packed up for 20-30 years storage if you don't want a large bucket.  They have kits if you want to go that route. 

They also have imitation meats which are a lot better than they sound, you simmer it in boiling water for a few minutes and you have something "meaty" to put with your rice.  They have taco, ham, etc.  You can buy that in a small can, large can, huge bucket if you want. 

They also have beans all you do is put the flakes into boiling water and instant refried beans.  Add a little lard and cook up that rice and it's a meal.  Don't forget to store some hot sauce if you like it. 

That's the easy way, in my book.  It is less expensive than buying the freeze dried "kits for a year" (most of which are instant soup and oat meal anyway, and you can do that on your own for way cheaper). 

It is also possible to buy bulk amounts of food, like 50 pound bags of rice, put it in mylar and pack it for long term storage but that is more complicated.  If you want to stock up 500 pounds of rice (I wish!) you can do that but it's pretty complex and you can read up about that elsewhere.  I am assuming you are at the beginner level and just want some good ideas to get you started. 

If you decide to put beans in your pantry use lentils.  Lentils cook up far easier than traditional beans, which can take hours.  They don't get hard, either, like pintos.  I have seen so many discussions: I put up 20 pounds of pintos 10 years ago, I tried them and they are rock hard.  I cooked them all day.  I used baking soda, will they ever get soft?  And the answer is always NO.  So go with lentils. 

Here is a shopping list if you like: 
Rice (you can still find parboiled at my stores)
Pasta
Cup noodles if you can get them. 
Lentils
Instant potato flakes if you like them
Can gravy if you like it
Mayo (check the use by date)
Oatmeal (the just add hot water kind) if you like it. 
If you decide to store anything tomato-saucy be aware it has a short life due to the acidity so you will have to eat it within a year or so. 
Canned vienna sausage
Beef stew
Chili
Spam (turkey spam is very good if you can find it)
Tuna/sardines
Canned pasta (chef boyardee, mac and cheese)
Spices to cook beans, rice, etc. if you don't have them already.  You can't go wrong with some extra black pepper, salt, and garlic powder.  I would also add lemon pepper for the tuna. 
Saltines
Peanut butter
Cooking oil/lard

If you like baking you might get some extra.  But be aware they may have egg/milk shortages so you may not be able to get it. 

But the list will get you started.  If you love peanut butter cookies throw an extra in there.  If you loathe sardines don't get them (might be a treat for the cat).  Oh, and don't forget extra pet food.  I have a cat on a special diet and it is nice to know I do have a month on hand should I have problems. 

You don't have to get the whole list but at least try to add some extras to your pantry.  It is not "hoarding" because you are going to eat it. 

Fill up a cupboard with that, then look at Freeze Dried and long term storage if you want, but if you do this you will be better off than a lot of people out there. 

I didn't put instant milk on the list because it has an off taste, most people hate it, and I haven't seen it in months anyway. 

Oh, coffee.  I am not a coffee drinker but you can get the cheap stuff to hold you should your regular source dry up. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting! I've wanted to get into food storage, so this is helpful. Thanks :)
I'm not a hoarder or a prepper, but have always bought extra food during my big grocery shop every two weeks, non perishables etc., just in case of emergencies.People laughed at me until they ended up with no TP or yeast or lysol or other "hot ticket" items during covid-19!!! I learned to do that when i was very poor and vowed i'd never let myself go hungry ever again.