Monday, July 4, 2011

I'm Freelance

It was great. Each handout is unique, and has it's own special "moment".


I knew this one would be interesting: After running to the grocery store, and dropping some stuff at home (work supplies), Chuck would be dropping me at my corner, then taking Ron to the liquor store. Ron is tired of only buying 1 bottle of Vodka (half gallon) and a box of wine (5 liters), or just getting 2-3 bottles of vodka.

He and Chuck made plans to buy 6 bottles (3 gallons), and 2 wine boxes today, after dropping me for my handout. :twitch He plans to do this once a month now, so I guess he is drinking 3/4 gallon of vodka a week.

God's told me, not to be a shrieky hater. So I'm not. I just pray, hard, for him. He has a serious illness; I try to treat it like asthma.

So, went to the grocery store. Got soda for work. Came home. Put up the soda, started dragging out my Bibles. I had a tote bag, 2 milk crates, an insulated backpack style cold bag full of cold drinks, and an empty mesh backpack.

I'd bought a bag of ice (7 pounds) at the grocery store. I put some in the cold bag, and the rest into the backpack! I wore it and it really helped, melting all down my back and keeping me nice and chilly. I had a few random diet sodas running around, too, and my metal handcart.

[favorite moment]

I told Chuck to drop me at the gas station. He didn't like the looks of 2 guys waiting at the bus stop, while I had a huge pull. "It's OK" I told him, "They're fine". I told Ron, later, they were Black, and dressed like they lived in a bad neighborhood.

I got out and immediately walked up to them. "Hi, I'm doing a Bible Handout today!" I pulled out the sign and displayed it. "I would LOVE to give you each a Bible!" They mumbled OK, and I handed them each one. They were very touched.

I got to work unloading and told Chuck I was ready. He and Ron drove off to get the liquor.

Yeah, some real bad guys. One helped me carry my stuff to the median, while the other gently warned me to stay hydrated.   Yup, those guys were awful.  [snort]   Then the bus came and they left.

I set up. It was slow-going at first, I started about a quarter to nine. I wanted to get a headstart because the water-selling guys take over the medians about noon or so. I worried about competition, and conflict.

The Spanish was hugely popular. I think I had one Spanish guy who looked at me and DIDN'T want something. I had a huge van full of people, 10 total, and they each wanted a Bible. It was incredible. I had just enough - 50.

I'd also brought 50 Kiddie booklets. I like them, but would the parents? They were HUGE. I had people coming back, and asking for more. I'd ask "Do you have kids? I have some stuff for the kids!" and show them the booklets. The parents loved them! It was really neat to see a parent, with a child in the car, and I was able to give the parent something, and the child. They both happily opened their books - happened a few times.

The Giant print were a big hit with the seniors, and a few who told me they had a senior at home wanting a Bible.

It was hot, horrendously hot. All my ice melted in about an hour. I had the paradox, I needed to stay hydrated, but not so much I had to use the bathroom. I asked God to help me with that.

I drank 2 powerades, a bottle of water (more on that), and I think 4 Diet Dr Peppers. Then I drank more when I finished.

I marched up and down, waving and pointing at my sign. Not much action for the first half hour. I had some really scary dudes glaring at me out of car windows. I had Christians (obviously) cracking up as they saw me and then giving me a thumbs up. I had a lady ask me about my church. I told her "I'm freelance". She loved it!

Pretty soon it got cranked up, I'd have periods of INSANE distribution, it seemed like every car at the light wanted a couple Bibles. Then I had quieter spells.

About this time the water guy showed up. Uh-oh.

He walked over to me, and I held up a Bible. "Oh, can I get one?" You betcha. He handed me a bottle of water (boy it was good and icy - if you live in Houston and you see those guys in the blue shirt selling water, get some!). He walked off and checked out the Bible, then asked for another. We worked together for about 20 minutes, selling water and handing out Bibles.  He could not have been any nicer. 

It kind of confused some people, but the Bible-wanters zoomed in on me. I handed out a couple to people at the bus stop (I'm in front of the bus stop, like a stage). I also had some people who pulled up right as the light changed, and doubled back for the their Bible! Very cool! One guy almost caused a wreck!

I always get a few people who want to make a donation. I tell them no thanks (can't take money, or I'll lose the sign), and asked them to pray for the recipients, or ask God to send me more people. I discussed my faith with a few other people who were curious about my motivations.

Many people were so touched, I was glad I was out there. I didn't even cook my brains, but when I handed the last ones off I ran to the bathroom! :pound Then I got yet another cold drink, and went off to Starbucks. One of the employees is a Christian and she was thrilled when I told her about the handout. Then I came home, exhausted, and took a nap.

I got really dirty this time, my legs were ick. I had a nice cold bath before that nap!

No comments: